Releasing the past in order to find myself

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Intellectual Anger versus Emotional Anger

This last month has not been easy with NM.  Not that anything particularly out of the ordinary has been going on.  It's just been a lot.  I'm not sure if the winter blues are making her worse or what is going on.  I almost feel like a storm is brewing. 

A little background.  Almost two years ago this spring, NM and I were having a conversation about how hard it is to talk on the phone with young children.  At the time, NM called several times a week and often was on the phone for over an hour with me.  These conversations were often painfully negative and if I tried to get off the phone, she would do anything to STALL getting off.  Rarely did we talk about me (unless you count her questioning me about the kids about me), often she ranted and begged advice (that she didn't actually want to hear), and when I'd try and get off she'd say "let's see...let's see...what else is going on?" in order to hold me hostage on the phone. 

So, as my kids were screaming in the background, the conversation of how difficult conversations were came up naturally.  I said that I usually only had a half hour or so.  I wasn't actually trying to set a boundary or make a point or anything.  But she took it as such and quit calling.  I'm sure I was supposed to make any effort to call her.  I'm sure that she expected that, after not calling me for awhile, I'd pick up and dial her.

But I didn't.  I found the time off from her liberating.  And it wasn't like she didn't have ANY contact with me.  I still got daily texts, emails, or FB messages (often many and often from several different mediums).  I haven't called her, save a handful of times on birthdays and holidays, since then. 

A little more background: my mother has always seemed anxious and overprotective about her kids.  She endlessly "stresses" and "worries" about us.  Everything sends her into a tizzy.  But if you tell her you are concerned about her stress, then she back tracks and says how "strong" and able to deal with things she is.  She loves to be the martyr of stress.   Several weeks ago, she sent me a message detailing her latest medical appointment in which they did tons of tests as "something doesn't feel right".  All the tests came out fine and NM said she believes it's all the "stress" she's been under.  I suggested a therapist in response.  She immediately told me how wonderful everything was.  So.  That was that.  Stress seems to be a sport with NM and worrying about her kids (and herself) seems to be a favorite past time. 

Earlier in the month, NM came to visit.  It went OK.  As well as could be expected, I suppose.  She pulled some shit with my son that I've had to deal with and address.  And that sucked.  But nothing else major happened.

Then, I got the "something's wrong but nothing's wrong" message. 

Then, I got a load of messages as she looked through old photos on her computer (copying them and her commentary and emailing them to me.)  Included was her insane idealization of my grandmother.  (See this post). 

Last week, my family got a horrible cold.  One of the worst colds we've had.  Several weeks before that, we had a horrible stomach virus.  It's not been a good month for us.  And then, last week, a blizzard hit our town.  I live in a place that is used to snow, lots of snow, but this storm was complicated by bitter cold (well below zero), freezing rain, sheets of ice hiding under record amounts of snowfall, and raging winds creating zero visibility.  Several times over the weekend, HUGE drifts of snow (over 4 feet tall) blocked the road to our home and we were snowed in.  On Saturday, we were able to get out of our home but the snow had drifted so badly by the time we got back from the grocery store that we got stuck several times (including in our own driveway).  We were then snowed in (again) until a front loader construction truck came and dug us out.  (We live by ourselves at the end of a loop and so we were a bit isolated.  Not completely without help if we needed it, but it was a bit anxiety provoking.)  It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was not a fun weekend.  Add to that we are still all sick and we've been stuck in the house for most of the last two weeks (me, hubby, and our two young kids.  It's enough to make anyone stir crazy).

NM also got some bad weather (but not like ours) and has to commute a distance on relatively isolated highways to work (however, it is possible for her to stay home.  She wouldn't lose her job and has something like 6 weeks of vacation.)

So, over the weekend, I updated my FB status a couple of times about being snowed in.

Within an hour, NM had posted her OWN status about having to drive on the roads.  It almost felt like she was one upping me.  I don't know why.  I've discussed with my blogging friend Kara how I just know my NM (and my sister).  I can feel the tone of their voices in posts.   I know their patterns and ways of behaving.  So, while I may have no proof of her trying to one-up me, the timing just felt too coincidental.

On top of that, she was messaging me about noticing a condolence I had posted on a friend's page (she must have been closely monitoring my activity on FB to see that).  She went on and on about how "short life is" and how "sick" the story made her.  And on and on.  About her.   And then, at the end, she tacked something on asking about how the kids are feeling.  She didn't ask how I was feeling, despite knowing we were all sick.

She also didn't ask how we were doing in the weather.  She didn't ask if we were OK or if we had help if we needed it.  It seemed SO strange.  So strange for this woman who frets and stresses and worries constantly (she has said in the past that she couldn't deal with me being pregnant because it's so stressful FOR HER.)  I'm guessing, and again this is conjecture, that I was being punished for not "checking" in with her (because, you know, she has it HARDER in the weather because she has to drive the roads).    I did make one comment on her picture and update about how bad the roads were.  She clearly was DRIVING while taking pictures and posting to FB so I told her to keep her hands on the wheel.  She responded by saying "I know these roads so well after driving all these years (do you hear the sob story there too?) that I know every bump on the road."  Hmmmm.  So, the roads are SO bad that you feel you can take your hands off the wheel?  Just because you know them well?

So, back to my point of punishing me for not being concerned about her.  Things started to click for me in a new way.  It's sunk into my head that she makes everything about her (obviously).  It's not lost on me that she changes everything around to herself.   But, when it sunk into my head that she was withholding love and concern for us as punishment, I hit a whole new level of anger and sorrow.   It finally dawned on me that this "overprotective, stress" is all manufactured and can be turned on and off depending on how much I'm catering to her.  If she feels love and concern for me, she'll mirror that back to me by being all stressed out and concerned for me (her definition of love).   As I've moved myself to safer distances from her, she's pulled her attention and concern for me.  She doesn't call and ask how I am, she doesn't ask how I am feeling (only the kids), and she doesn't seem interested in anything that I do.   The little trickle of concern she seemed to have for me has all but dried up.  So, when I didn't text or write to make sure she was safe on the roads, I could almost feel her bitter resentment shooting back at me.  I can almost hear her say "fine! If she can't be concerned about me, I'm not going to be concerned for her."   I can almost see her foot stomping and rage that I'm, somehow, making the storm (centered over MY town) about me.  That I'm not concerned enough for HER.  And for the record, I hadn't really thought about NM.  I had other things on my mind and the roads, while a bit dicey, seemed relatively "normal" for this time of year.  It didn't seem like anything she hadn't dealt with all winter. 

It wasn't until this situation last weekend that the full realization of how little she actually cares and how her "concern" is an act came slamming home.  Memories of my teenage years came flooding back (I really dislike this part of the process.  It's not like I've suppressed them, but when things like this happen, the memories come back very vividly.  And they suddenly "reorient" themselves into ways that make much more sense to me now.  It's like I had categorized them differently, and as I come out of the FOG, they 'line up' differently in my mind.  It's sort of hard to explain.)  I remembered how NM would make a huge deal of me being home when she called.  She'd be spending the weekend with her boyfriend and call at 10 to make sure we were home.  It never occurred to me to sneak out.  But I look back now and wonder why it didn't occur to her.   Once she got that phone call, she didn't have any clue what happened to me and, clearly, she didn't really care.   She had satisfied herself that we were alright and then it left her mind.   When I lived off of my boyfriend's couch in my senior year of high school, she never knew where I was most of the time.  She didn't know if I made it to school, or got fed, or got my homework done.  She just expected I would.  And I was such a good kid, I took care of all of that myself.  When I went to college, she had no clue what was going on with me.  Her concern and "stress" only seemed to pop up when it was useful to her.  Or when she needed something to do.  Some drama to live off of. 

She makes huge deals about stressing over NSIS.  So much so that she "wound up in the E.R."  Yet, when she goes on vacation, she suddenly doesn't have any worry.  How in the hell can she just shut it off like that?  Because it wasn't real in the first place.  It was trumped up and created for her own entertainment.  She freaks out and expects me to soothe her as she stresses about my kids, or death, or her health.  I used to believe that she had real anxiety and I sympathized with her.  But the fact that she can turn it off has lost her all my sympathy.   If her daughter can be snowed in (with her precious grandkids) and she doesn't feel the need to see if we are OK, then her "concern" in other areas is all an act.  Her concern is not a real feeling at all but a "product" of her feelings about me at the moment.  She can only be as concerned for me as she feels "filled up" by me. 

After all this work studying narcissism, this realization isn't totally new to me.  But as my friend Kara put it, it's one thing to "know" it intellectually.  It's a whole other to finally "feel" it emotionally.  And I am angry.  It hurts like hell to (again) have to accept that my mother's concern and love only extends to me when SHE feels like it.  When I've done what she wants me to do, acted how she wants me to, and when I've given HER the love and attention and time she wants.  It hurts that her love for me is in direct correlation to her views on how good of a daughter I've been.  I can not fathom, as a mother myself, how in the hell she can just "turn it off".  How she can withhold love and concern as punishment.  How does a mother DO that to her child?

11 comments:

  1. I was watching Dr. Oz today and he said that social media is making us angry. I agree. In the last few months, I've seen the negative posts from other family members only to make me angry and how they make jabs at my thoughts I've posted. I went from only letting them see limited posts or blocking them. I know you probably feel off or guilty for blocking your mom but maybe you change your settings so she doesn't see so much of what you have posted or what she has posted. Just a thought. Also, I get how you can sense or feel what control they are conveying in a single post or an email. I use to be able to read my sister's mood swings in a single word if she responded to my emails back in the day when we communicated. I too feel the same anger that since I have set more boundaries with my mom, she won't call me to see how I am or how a recent trip went that she knew we took etc. It's up to me to call her to see how she is doing and maybe she will let me share how my trip was. In the past year, I have set a new boundary of either not telling her when we go out of town or not calling her to let her know we have returned. I feel your anger my friend. Just another boundary that you or all of us need to set and work through. I keep wondering if it will ever get easier with these realizations that we can look back on and then again figure it out in our new adult life. It sucks. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how social media (or rather, the people who use it as a weapon) can make people angry.

      I have cut out what she sees in my posts (as I have NSIS and MIL) and I'm working on blocking what I see from them too (NM gets all pissed off if I don't "like", so I try to do that here and there just to keep her off my tail a bit.)
      I know it does get better. I've been through this before. It just always sucks to have to go through it again (when a new set of memories or a new realization hits me.) But, at least I know I can get to the other side. And you will too.
      I often don't tell NM when we go out of town either. I stopped, for the most part, a year or so ago. It definitely makes things easier.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Hugs Jessie, a sneak preview of future feelings, (I went through this phase too) I now feel profound relief that all the 'anxiety and concern' really isn't about me and there is nothing I can actually do about it. After the anger comes a wonderful liberating feeling. Now, when my mother sobs into her hands about how sad she is about what happened to my sister and I, I feel nothing. I feel no need to sooth her, comfort her or even hug her. I actually caught her peeking between her fingers checking for the effect on me. When I didn't respond, she stopped, just like that. Jessie, you are an amazing mom. You are genuine, caring, and worry because you truly are concerned. I do understand your total disbelief that our mothers can act the way they do. Anger is part of the grief process. It is healthy. It is temporary. It sucks. Hoping the weather is giving you a bit of a rest. I lived in Washington close to the Rocky Mountains and those weeks of 20-40 below weather is miserable. It felt like I was cold clear down to my bones. I hope you have an awesome heater. Take care, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruth, I can see how there is relief about not that anxiety and concern being fake (I've had that sense poking out above my anger. So there is hope!) And if I think back on it, I've seen NM "pull back" on that anxiety when she wasn't getting the effect she wanted. It's just so disturbing and it sucks to have to feel the anger about it. I appreciate your thoughts.
      We do have a good heater! And plenty of food. And it's melting off today (just hoping for no floods!). Just one of those freak storms and hopefully spring is right around the corner. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Ruth, how awful for you mom to be peeking through her hands!! This past year, I quit hugging and telling my mom I love her. To the outside world, this probably appears awful. The reason I quit is because growing up, she never showed any affection nor did she ever tell me she loved me. It always seemed so awkward when I did go to her with affection so I just decided I don't want to feel awkward anymore because she still isn't telling me she loves me or hugs me. My husband will hug her but that is his choice. She never reaches out to him either. It is just so fake that I won't do it anymore. Great post!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to address something in your post that ISN'T the point of it, but so many people have such good ideas for the meat of your post (and my own parents were the other kind of narcs - the ignoring type, so I have no real advice in that area anyway) - the seeing old memories through the startling clear window wiped clean of FOG? Yeah, it's wrenching. ugh.

    So this is in response to the ME ME ME emails/calls that people get, from all narcs everywhere - and for the people who fell obligated (for so many understandable reasons) to respond. The email that says 'blah blah me ME! Me my drive my snow my cold my problems! on and on andon and then oh btw how're you gotta go bye' and so, a good response (to my way of thinking, which is to say I'm a BITCH and if my mom tried that on me this is what I would do, so grain of salt and all that) my response would - be the same thing back.

    Never EVER answer a question. Never EVER respond to a victim-death-doom-help-me thing. A response email would be like:

    Hi! Thank you so much for thinking about me! I'm FINE! Thank you for asking, and the kids are great! Our weather/illness/whatever has been horrible, thank you SO MUCH for thinking about us! We don't need any help at this time, but I will absolutely keep you in mind if we need some groceries/snow blowing/medicine! I'm sure you would help out. I'm feeling much better, and the kids are getting better, and we've been building snowmen and making cookies, how fun is THAT?! I'll be sure to tell Jim/Bill/Earl you asked about him/us!

    Your Name Here

    So you do nothing but positive FAKE crap back, never asking about HER/HIM, never ever addressing any questions, and never. ever. giving her/him one little thing to complain about. I mean, hell! You responded! You were cheerful! And if the whole point is to respond, even just in order to keep the narc at bay for a while, why not fuck with them? And I'm saying, I totally understand two things:

    1. It's creepy as hell to use narc-crap back to a narc. It maybe makes you feel covered in narc crap. But we learned from the best, why not use that skill?
    2. Nothing else will work. Reason wont work Questions only serve to give them an opening for more narc crap.
    3. (I thought of 3 things) No contact is sometimes not practical. Any contact is narc food. This tastes very bitter to them - they hate happy. Hate positive energy. And hate that you don't ask, don't respond.

    I know - like I said, I'm a bitch. If I had 30 million dollars I would spend a significant portion of it fucking with bad people on purpose. She is stalking and harassing you. Stalk back your stalker. Have some fun with it.

    Hope you and your family are warm and safe Jessie. Delete this comment if it's too much. Maybe I need some lunch... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys, No, your comment wasn't too much ;). I know that your intent is to support me and I think it's good to shake myself out of my ACoN training. And I'm glad you took a different tangent in your comment.
      Sometimes I think I must come off as very passive (compliant) when dealing with my NM. And I used to be. But I have learned a few tricks over time (once I finally figured out what was going on).

      First, I had to break the "habit" I had of feeling an immediate need to respond to NM. I could hardly contain myself sometimes from replying immediately. Not because I wanted to, but because I had been trained SO WELL to respond to her histrionics. That took me a long time. I sort of had to "wean" myself off of it. Delaying responses for five minutes and then ten minutes. After that, I stopped responding to some messages all together. I had to remind myself that NM didn't know what was going on in my life, and I couldn't be expected to drop everything all of the time. This was hard too, as I felt guilty, EVEN WHEN I HAD A LEGITIMATE EXCUSE (which helped me to see that this was a conditioned response and not natural. I should not have felt guilty even when I legitimately couldn't get back to her immediately.)
      Then, I started doing some of the things you suggested. If the comment was drama provoking or just negative, I ignored it. If the comment was a "bait" comment meant to draw me into a deeper (and negative) conversation I didn't want to be in, I ignored it. (This is also were the "no phone call" thing really helped. It was really hard to ignore her and untangle myself while talking to her directly.) I started replying back with bland responses (when she emailed me that my aunt's mother died and how horrible it made NM feel? I just replied "thanks for letting me know, that's too bad." ) So, I have gotten better. I do generally refrain from sharing anything with her, as I don't like giving her information (ammunition), but other than that, I do try and respond as positively, focusing on myself as possible.

      Of course, when the snow is coming down in waves, and your locked in your house with two kids climbing the walls, and you've been sick for a month? Well, that's when NM's shit storms sometimes overwhelm me. And I have to take a moment, throw myself a pity party, and then dust myself off.
      Thanks again for your "tangential" thoughts. They helped to remind me how much better things actually are. And we are warm and safe (it's 45 DEGREES TODAY. A damn heat wave! Now, as long as our house doesn't flood as the six feet berms of snow melt down our road.....) And I hope you had a nice lunch :).

      Delete
  4. "How does a mother DO that to her child?" I don't know how, but they certainly do. As I was reading through the post I got a memory of seeing my sister doing exactly what you described. Her daughter had gone to spend a week with her father and my sister couldn't get hold of her. Her daughter was too little to have a mobile phone and apparently, her ex was not answering his mobile phone. Well, you should have seen the drama my sister pumped up, crying over people's shoulders, the whole works. This from the woman who would leave her child in the magazine section of the supermarket while she did her grocery shopping. I could not work out why she was so stressed out (when there was really no reason to be concerned - it'd only been one day since she had spoken to the little girl) but reading your post made me see clearly what was going on there. I know we keep saying this, but it is truly ALL ABOUT THEM, so ANYTHING they can use to get the ATTENTION back to them, use they will. It is so hard to get one's head round the fact that mothers are willing to sacrifice their daughters for the sake of having all the focus on themselves. And it's mindboggling the extremes they will go to. Like for instance, when your NM was calling at 10pm to check if you were ok and at home, it wasn't for your sake, it was for hers. She was "ticking a box". Now, she could go off and enjoy her evening because she had done her "duty" as a mother. It's so awful that they do this, and if I hadn't seen my sister do it, I would not think it was possible that people like that existed. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although we "know" that it's all about them, I think seeing it manifest (and in such a variety of ways) is a whole other thing. It can be crazy to actually SEE it in practice.
      The situation with your niece is exactly how it was with my mom. It is mind boggling as a child to have your mother so overbearing in some respects but then so able to just "put you out of mind" when she's got something better to do (something she's getting more/better NS from). I think it's just such a desperation for NS, that the HAVE to have it to feel like they exist, that they are willing to do anything for it. It's like a drug to them. Not that that makes it OK.
      When my mom was "ticking the box" and I didn't make it "easy" for her (i.e., when we weren't there) she would rage at me. It didn't matter that I was out looking for my - uncontrollable- sister. Or that really it shouldn't have been my responsibility in the first place. It was all about how I'd made her life difficult, and so she would rage if she actually had to do her motherly duty and come home to find us (or God forbid, had to call more than once.)

      Delete
    2. That says a lot, doesn't it? That she'd get angry instead of being concerned about the situation. It's appalling. It's like their motto is: "Don't give me ANY "extra" work". Anything that involves more than providing food, clothing and shelter is not in their "job" description.

      NS is like a drug to them. TR has a brilliant post on that. I'll try to find the link and send it to you.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jessie,
    Totally get this: "the memories come back very vividly. And they suddenly "reorient" themselves into ways that make much more sense to me now. It's like I had categorized them differently, and as I come out of the FOG, they 'line up' differently in my mind. "

    For me, I would understand a set of behaviors and then all of a sudden another set would become clear and sometimes I thought I had gotten to all the layers and nope, there was another layer to get through. It was like I was angry at the actual behaviors of my NM did and then I was angry again for there being yet another layer again.

    Great progress on getting through the emotional anger and seeing it for what it is. xxTR

    ReplyDelete