Releasing the past in order to find myself

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Checking In

A couple of months ago, my youngest son decided he wasn't going to nap.  At all.  No quiet time, nothing.  So, there went my blogging time.  That and summer's gotten busy, and I've just had not time to check in.

But, I've been overwhelmed, depressed and thought it a good time to process a few things.  I had been feeling a lot better.  I had been gaining big strides, making lots of progress.  I was experiencing much less anxiety.  I felt stronger and happier than I had in a long time (still not strong, or really all that happy, but I felt better.  I was working hard to remember that I wouldn't be "there" immediately in this process.  )

And then I got tired of dealing with it all.  Some inkling of realization that "this is reality.  They really are these difficult people and I'm really going to have to deal with them, like this, every day forever.  There will be no change, no progress, no "relationship" with them.  Because they are incapable of it.  So, I will now only be "managing" them."  That was a hard thing to come to terms with.  Since the "record plea for peace" NM has been keeping her distance.  Mostly.  That means weekly, sometimes daily, emails or texts.  Often several texts in one day (think like 10).  But mostly she's been quiet.  She did "perk up" when we went on vacation.  I avoided telling her before we left that we were going.  She found out when we were in the middle of it.  Then I got "text me when you get home" and emails about her latest argument with her husband and bugging me to let her know "how things went" and "how is the driving going".  Leave me alone. 

She's been bringing up my sister when she gets a chance.  Just throwing her in.  "Oh, you saw that.  NSIS said this about it."  Or "Oh, you're on vacation?  I just booked tickets to visit (the city Nsis lives in)." (It was a tad more subtle than this, because she linked something we were doing on vacation, to something she will also do in NSIS's town.  None the less, it was pretty obvious her point.) 

My step sister (I have two SS and two SB's -plus spouses- on my mother's side.  We have never had a relationship.  They never really cared to include us - we were on their "turf" as NM tried to "assimilate" us into their life, not vice versa.  They weren't mean, just completely ignored me and NSIS.  This got worse when NSis started acting out in high school and all family members were greatly impacted, including them.) had decided she wanted to do a "family photo shoot" HAHAHAH.  I haven't seen some of these people in YEARS and only communicate through the family Christmas card exchange, despite all living relatively close and having opportunities to see each other.  Once, this particular step sister drove across the state to attend a business conference at the resort I worked at.  It's not a big place and I was easy to find, but she never made it down the staircase to the restaurant to find me.  Anyway, she wanted a family photo shoot to "celebrate" our "parent's marriage".  Again, HAHAHA.  Not only would I have had to take vacation time to accommodate their Sunday afternoon time slot (they all live close and can travel home and back in one day), we would've had to drive 6 hours, each way, and.....BE IN A PICTURE WITH NSIS AND HER SCUZZY BOYFRIEND.  Um, no. 

Why in the world Nm even fantasized this would happen, I don't know.  I haven't spoken to NSIS in two years.  What, would we just show up and throw our arm's around each other?  The ultimate "pretend" game?  I'm sure NM thought....hoped... that we would be the reason to "finally come together" and she could take credit for the reconciliation.  But, at the same time, NM kept saying how ridiculous she thought the photo was (she dislikes SS and was angry that SS didn't think about "her children" when planning the photo.  That it's "all about SS".)

Anyway, I refused to go.  I was very proud of myself, as I didn't JADE (much).  In any course, I stayed emotionally neutral.  Even when NM pointed out that "NSIS's boyfriend is insisting they come.  He thinks it's important to support me."  HAHAHAHAH!  Oh yeah, the physically abusive, freaky boyfriend, wants to support you?  Good for you.  (And for the record, NM booked her vacation to see NSIS the weekend before the shoot was supposed to happen.  So, I know they are not going.  I'm not surprised.  NSIS hasn't been back to my mother's home in 6- SIX- years.)

So, that was that.  All this came up at my youngest son's birthday.  On that note, the party went well.  I invited people OUTSIDE of the family, and what do you know, it was mostly pleasant ;).

NM did try some of her bullshit.  We had an incident in February, in which she watched my sons for a half hour while I went out for a walk.  Later that night, NM laughingly told me, "Don't tell OS, but he knocked over  a lamp today.  I accidently showed him some of your gifts for him when getting a new light bulb for the lamp.  I told him, if he didn't tell on me to you, I wouldn't tell on him."  She told me this laughingly and thought it was hysterical.  I was sickened.  That she would BLACK MAIL my son, and then make him think he was doing a favor was disgusting.  That she would convince him that lying to me - and lying in general - was OK, as long as you don't get caught, is so messed up.  I told her in no uncertain terms that she couldn't pull that bullshit with my kid.  There was of course, retaliation for that for me, but that's another story.

Anyway, she told me "I'll babysit, and I promise, we won't have a lamp incident."  I didn't think it was funny.

She took my MIL's side several times when I was discussing some of the things that MIL had been doing to me.  She even made sure to spend extra time "bonding" (her word) with MIL and discussing getting together to "hang out" for the weekend.  Clearly, she's trying to hurt my feelings.  Completely dismissing what I've said about MIL and believing MIL is a "good person". (also despite what she's said and seen of MIL in the past.  She's only a fan of MIL when she's angry with me.)

She was OK with the kids.  She wasn't too obnoxious, except for a DAYS long pat on the back for putting my son to bed.  Making sure to retell all of the wonderful things she did to get him to sleep.  (The implication is that she was a hero for doing something I couldn't or wouldn't do.  Or that she was "saving me" from doing.)  I ignored this.

She did pick a huge political argument, although she let step father do most of the actually arguing.  She just sat, kicking my stepfather under the table and rolling her eyes whenever I was speaking (I was turned away from her, DH told me about this later.)  She's just brimming under her cool, controlled, icy exterior to get at me, it seems.  Wanting so badly to put me in my place, but being unable to and not wanting to blow her cover. 

So, aside from that, it's been quiet around her when it comes to her.  Aside from that.  It's kind of crazy to write all of that down and then think about how this is her, on "mellow".  That she's often been a lot worse (or maybe I've handled it a lot more poorly?)

SIL and BIL haven't been around much.  They're busy crafting a new personality (new looks, new attitudes, new friends.  Aside from narcissism, they seem to be having a mid-life crisis).    Even friends of their's have been complaining about them to DH about how they've just "dumped" everyone and moved on.  BUT, at least they are out of my hair for awhile.

No news on the NSIS front.  She occasional leaves a comment on my FB photos.  Or likes random comments I put up.  I'm guessing that's more to keep me on my toes.  There is no rhyme or reason.  Or maybe that's how I "appear" in her mind; random notes that float in and out of her consciousness.  I doubt she thinks about me and our situation nearly as much as I think about her.

The in-laws.   Well, I haven't seen them a lot.  That helps.  I did have an incident that triggered a bunch of feelings that  I will write about in my next post.  I've really been able to clarify my understanding of the dynamics in DH's family.  Not that the understanding helps much.  Sometimes I feel still stuck in the same trap of dysfunction with them.  No matter how much progress I make.  DH can SEE everything, but hasn't bothered to fully un-enmesh with them.  He keeps saying "yes, I see how they are, but they are family and we have to be around the."  I'm trying to get him to see that being around them doesn't mean putting up with their bullshit.  Peace at all cost.  I feel like, if I say I don't like something and they can't handle it and blow up at me, that's on THEM.  He seems to feel the opposite. 

In addition, here are a few highlights:

MIL planned a birthday party for FIL.  She is notoriously horrible at this stuff (she CAN NOT communicate with vendors and always has issues. )  She is scattered and disorganized (at a party, serving alcohol, she had NO water for people.  And nothing other than soda for the kids - she knows my kids don't drink soda, it's actually DH's rule).  She attempted several times to get DH to take over.  Thankfully, he wiggled out.  The party was OK (she avoided me) but the next day we got a lot of pressure to stop by.  When we did (I knew we were going, but DH kept telling me we weren't....and then that morning breakfast plans got cancelled and we had to go over there), I refused to go in the house because of the dog.  It was a chilly day, but not horrible, but FIL kept complaining he had to come outside (the kids were playing outside too, but he didn't care). 

At the party, my MIL got all three kids cake, except my youngest (he wasn't right by them, but close.  And she's always pushing food on the other kids.  And there was only four kids, her grandkids, so it was odd she left him out.)  She also gave the three other kids the sportsball magnets off the cake and left out my son (he's the littlest, but only by six months than his cousin.)  Again, he wasn't right there, but I think it's unfair to give all the kids one, and not him just because he wasn't standing there.  (I'd say it was coincidence too, but last summer, she gave a NEW toy to my OS - her golden boy- and nothing to my younger son - who was 2, small, but not small enough to be excluded.)

The day after the party, MIL shoved a bag of clothes she had bought for my sons (and not at HER son, who was beside her.  I'm guessing I was supposed to be thankful and give her a "point.")  True to form, most of it was unattractive.  But the kicker was that the stuff for my son was for an infant.  He was a month from THREE at the time.  But she'd bought him 12-18 months cloths.  As she shoved them at me, she told me how "cute they were"  and "such a good deal".  Way to toot your own horn MIL.

As I've written before, BIL and SIL planned a "family vacation" with MIL and FIL over the weekend of my younger son's birthday.  Nobody bothered to tell us (we all know when the parties will be each year and MIL and FIL make a big deal about being invited).    DH found out by accident.  MIL called weeks before the party, in a panic (we had purposely not told her when we scheduled it, by misfortunate, it had to be the day after they got back and they would be able to attend.) saying they would "change their flights".  Yeah, right.  Such a martyr move (I'll change my flight to come!!!!  How about just offering up a fucking apology, lady?)  She then asks DH for ideas for gifts, and is taken a back when we say we've given out all of our ideas already.

The day of the party, MIL and FIL are FORTY-FIVE MINUTES LATE.  I can't help but notice there absence.  And I must say I was a bit gleeful.  Finally, the f-ers were getting CAUGHT.   MIL spoke little to me but, hoofed off (she waddles like one of those "Weeble-Waddle" people when she walksand bustles past people a lot.  Huge boobs out, charging forward.) Later, as I drove home with NM, she commented on MIL being late and explained that MIL had been lost.  LIE!  MIL had just been to the party place a few months before.  It's not hard to find and it's a small area between three major roads.  So, she had to call BIL to "give her directions" (she is such a child, that she often expects her son's to help her figure out how to get places.)  And besides, 45 minutes for lost?  I live in a fairly small town, which MIL comes to about 20 weekends a year.  Anyway, MIL does not speak to me the entire time.  She continues to waddle-bustle past me, always in a "hurry".  The gift she brings for my SON, is wrapped in girly-pink wrapping paper (not that I'm all about gender appropriate, but it just so clearly showed how little she gives a shit about my son.)  DH later told me that she had explained to him that, not only were they lost, but that FIL had so busy setting up the camp trailer (they had decided to camp outside my town.) that they lost track of time.  I'm not sure wtf she was doing that impaired her from telling time, but it was all FIL's fault.  So, she LIED to my mother, covered her ass and blamed FIL (with a shifty explanation in my book) , and actually admitted, that yes, they were late due to their own poor planning.  And I didn't get an apology or an explanation at all.

She also gave both my kids money for their piggy bank.  The older son, whose not even the birthday boy, got MORE.

The next day, she and FIL come to my kids game (which the "luckily" could come to when we told them about it last minute.  They'd had the schedule of all the other games, but couldn't make those.  Not coincidentally, it was also DH's birthday.  I'm sure I was expected to invite them over afterwards, but I'd had my fill.  This is when NM decide to swoop in and "bond" with MIL, ignoring my kids' pleas to come home and play, and instead hanging out with MIL in the parking lot for half an hour.)  FIL, who is a mostly nice guy, guffawed and made jokes about the kids (5 year olds.).  It wasn't wholly in appropriate (not man jokes) but I still thought not OK.    MIL didn't talk to me the whole game, not say hi.  (I'm guessing she felt shame for not showing up at the party on time.  So, instead of apologizing and move on, she decides to be nervous and tense and act weird.)  She did manage to yell "TAG YOUR BASE" at my son (none of yell at the kids.  They are little, very little.)  I was glad they were away from me.

So, that was months ago, and I've had some peace and quiet.  After next weekend, I'll have a few more weeks of peace.  However, some issues have really clarified in my mind about my in-laws and I'll explore them in my next post.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. Hang in there, and keeping fighting for you and your family of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling depressed and overwhelmed after having had to deal with all of that is normal. I'm sure it's the body's way of complaining about having to put up with unbearable people ;) It's great that you'll get a break for a few weeks. I look forward to your thoughts on your in-laws.
    Reading this post I can see how much better you're at dealing with them. It was a lot, and a lot of narcs to deal with, and yet you have gone through it and come out stronger. Here is to progress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accepting that people refuse to change is an ongoing process and not a single event. You are doing great. Keep living your life and enjoying your family. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband keeps saying, "I thought you'd be done with this by now." like it's some sort of hobby I've taken on.
      But you are right, acceptance isn't an "event" or a light switch. It is a process (to add to all of the other processes I'm dealing with! :) ).
      Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see you are still posting. I've missed them but completely understand how life gets busy. It is our reality that we will have to deal with them for the rest of our lives. I'm at that point too. I still have my moments but it's reassuring to see I'm not alone when I read blogs such as yours. I'm looking forward to reading more from you. - Kel Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it can be hard when people we like to read stop posting. I've had many, many blogs peeter out on me.

      But, I can't see me stopping in the future. I kept hoping my blog would change, that I'd be more able to discuss how to help others, and less about myself. But I'm just not there yet.

      And so, I'll continue to post and continue to process. And in the fall, I'll have much more time to actually devout to writing (and have some peace and quiet to be able to think.)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. "There will be no change, no progress with them...because they are INCAPABLE."<That. It's what finally bought me to my knees. This was the rest of my life, into the indefinite future. Sometimes, reality sucks beyond hope or redemption-for them. Speaking of which, please take a look at "Narcissists Suck," Anna V's IMO invaluable resource, her Post of Sun. March 30, '08 "The Price of Peace of Any Cost" as well as the Comments. Maybe a "multidisciplinary approach" to DH will help clarify to him exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it and most importantly, what it's gonna cost-HIM.
    Jessie, please I'm begging you do not speak about your NMIL to your NM EVER. They are both the SAME, just different presentations of the same CB. Your NM is getting OFF on your "problems" with NMIL-that alone should bring you to a screaming halt. You NM is storing up ammo regarding what hurts/upsets you AND is sidling up to NMIL in true CB Solidarity. It hurts/upsets YOU? Great! You've just served your NM a juicy chunk of Supply. Expect as you pull further away from your NM, she and NMIL will become Besties. Bet on it. They both have the black souls of Predators/Parasites and completely "get" one another. Both are hazardous to the well-being of you and your family, of your island of sanity in this ocean of Odious and Opportunistic Predation. Your MIL did NOT feel "shame" and I'm gonna be very direct (as usual) about this: If she felt anything at all it was BUSTED in front of the witness/others from outside the Clan.
    I'm so pleased you went ahead and started your function without your NMIL. That is a huge step for you-go Jessie! And you invited "outsiders"-witnesses generally have a somewhat chilling effect on these CBs, at least in terms of the more overt antics. Excellent strategic (and practical) move!
    MIL and that entire family have been consistently rude, disrespectful and obnoxious to you from Day One. They have completely disregarded and stomped with glee on everything from your discomfort (to include very real medical concerns) to your unwavering hospitality. NMIL wasn't speaking *to* you, but you can be certain worm-tongue is speaking *about* you as she always has been: The parking lot parlay with your NM was a golden opportunity for NM and NMIL to pick your proverbial carcass, the nasty abusive crones bonding over BS and Bat Shit, creating Matronly Mayhem, clucking over how "difficult" etc. you've become, blaa-blaa-blaa as they expertly dismember your remains. If the goal is "Containment," please don't feed it, OK? They'll make it up (lie/embellish/re-write history etc.) as they go along anyway as you've experienced. Repeatedly.
    See what your NM was able to pull with your DS when you left her alone with him for 30 min.? Never forget you are dealing with Predators-always. Turn your back for a second and they pounce. Is it exhausting to deal with all of them? YES. I'm not surprised BIL and SIL are actively seeking a new hunting/grazing "area" as they've totally contaminated their previous area. (Even animals have enough sense not to eat where they poop.)
    You're doing it Jessie. Once again, I don't know how you stay sane juggling chainsaws on overdrive and "Mother" Snakes in Elastic Waist Stretch Pants and over-stuffed Boob Tubes. You get it: Don't let them take any more from you. Those treacherous twins (NM, NMIL) and their minions are NOT gonna win the War even if they occasionally "win" a skirmish. I know it hurts beyond description. Please believe yourself and in yourself. You're a whole lot tougher, more resourceful than you yet even know. You absolutely have the whole Mama Bear thang goin' on. Don't ever be reluctant to exercise it. What are they gonna do? Get MAD? They're already reliably rabid ;)
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into the post. I have shared many, many things with DH. And to be fair, he has come a LONG way. It's just those last tentacles of enmeshment, that last bit of "hope" that things aren't really what he sees them as that keeps him holding on. I'll keep working on it. (Which, by the way, is extremely hard when I'm also trying to work on myself. It's hard to drag both of us out of the mud....)
      I don't know what possessed me to talk to my NM about my MIL. I learned LONG ago that this was a bad idea and I generally avoid it. She has used her over and over again to hurt me. (Interestingly, NM often expresses how jealous she is of MIL, who she deems, gets "more" time with us -she doesn't, but NM believes she does. NM also likes to rage about how they "treat her daughter" or gets pissed off when she sees them do crap like this. But I've learned that it's all bullshit, as when it suits her (and NSIS) they quickly side with MIL as "proof" of how I "can't get along with anybody." That it's all my fault.)
      I guess I felt that I had a "right" to speak my truth. I wasn't confiding in her or looking for support (I know better). But I wasn't going to sit there while she offered me up MIL's phony excuses for being late. I can't promise I won't ever slip up in the future (sometimes my tongue gets the best of me) but I do promise to try to keep my thoughts to myself. I know that all NM does is use it to hurt me.
      That is a good point about MIL feeling busted. I do think it's her underlying issues with shame that make her act like that, but you are right, fundamentally, she was upset she got CAUGHT. I've recently figured out how MIL is able to hide her shit so well and the key is for her to not get CAUGHT (more on that in the next post).
      It's taken awhile to clear all the damn narcs out so I could make ROOM for the "others" in our lives. Having them around not only buffers some of the b.s., but helps DH see more clearly what "normal" looks like. And it helps me be able to keep the in-laws from derailing crap: i.e. I couldn't just 'hold up' the party for MIL's sake, I had other people to consider. I'm only sorry that she wasn't ten minutes later and then would've missed the cake. That would've really sent her in a tizzy. :)

      Delete
    2. Part 2
      And even though those two bats like to pretend friendship (thinking they are getting to me), I know better. MIL can't get along with any females and NM, well, she can't get along with anyone. She has NO friends. These two will self destruct and take the other one with you, should they ever attempt this "friendship" ruse. I've often wanted to write a post about the two of them, as they are like two lionesses circling each other. Both thinking they are "alpha" females and being wary of the other (while also acting cordial and polite to cast themselves in the best light). Neither of them really knows each other and any attempt at socializing would explode in their faces. Besides that, underneath it all, they are extremely competitive and jealous of each other (and MIL is under the delusion that I'm "close" to my mother and that I would easily "leave" MIL's family behind for my own. I do NOT do anything to let MIL know the real truth of my family.) They are very threatened by the other, and I know that. So, I have that as my advantage. They can play nice all they want, but they are not fooling me. It just goes to show me how really messed up they both are.
      And yes, it was amazing to see what the hell MIL could pull off in just 30 minutes. It was seriously crazy. I can't turn my back for a second.
      Thanks for your thoughts TW. I think the saddest thing is that I have this "cardboard" cutout family. It's there for everyone to see, grandparents at parties and baseball games, chopping at me for holiday time. Begging for vacations. But there is no substance to it, and the price of that "family" life is so high. And so my kids, and me, and DH are left, essentially, alone in it all. I wish, so much, that my kids had ANY family that would behave like family should.

      Delete
  6. Jessie, They have YOU!!! Many of us grew up without extended Family but the most important Family we'll ever be a part of is the one WE create. You're stopping the Legacy in it's tracks, you're protecting your family from known threats, you're standing up in the face of almost over-whelming opposition and demonstrating through your behavior, "No More Crazy will be permitted." You're showing your children all kinds of life-skills they're going to need when they get ready to launch into the adult world as independent, autonomous, confident beings. You're demonstrating unconditional love and acceptance for who they are as unique beings in their own right. You're showing them healthy boundaries, self-respect, you're guiding the development of their conscience, of Right and Wrong in an age-appropriate manner. Isn't this what good parents do? Isn't this our primary responsibility towards our children? And you're doing this without a healthy template from which to draw-no small feat. Please don't underestimate your achievements and your on-going efforts to give your children all that was never given to you.
    Re: DH. Yep, I see he's also come a long way. What I meant was sometimes I've had concepts explained to me in one way and it just hasn't clicked. Explain it to me in another way and I'll get it, yk?
    Absolutely, you have the right to speak your Truth-who knew, huh? ;) What I meant was based on my own experience with the N's I was surrounded by growing up: The most effective lies/smears have just a tiny grain of Truth in them-which I handed to them. (sigh.) Of course, it was totally distorted but my conscience was so self-lacerating and my insistence on "Fairness" came back to haunt me because in part, what was said did have this tiny bit of Truth. The double-binds were endless, as you well know.
    The "price" of being a part of the N Family includes our very souls: "High" indeed. And unachievable unless we surrender our very personhood. They're fighting you every.step.of.the.way. (How could you not be exhausted?!)
    But you still keep growing and learning despite them. Your Reality is rock-solid despite their on-going manipulations. My NM had no friends either. It's incomprehensible to me how she could remain in the same community for decades, raise her kids in this same community and ultimately end up with not ONE genuine friend. She labored long and hard to leave *that* kind of Legacy but it was well deserved, natural consequences in action. She then predated on her only remaining family whom she had unfailingly denigrated and who lived geographically far removed from her-much to their everlasting regret ;)
    Please remember, the end of this story hasn't been written yet!
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, all of them are a hand full, even when your NM is 'low-key'. I think that is great progress to catch all the lies and manipulation and unhealthiness in their behaviours right away and see it for what it is. xx

    ReplyDelete