Releasing the past in order to find myself

Friday, February 8, 2013

Sisterhood

My sister and I were close, well closer, as children.  I was her protector and big sister.  I looked out for her. A lot.  I was technically in charge, although I wasn't supposed to let her know that, every day after school, on holidays, and during summer break.

We spent a lot of time together, played together, and hung out.  We were close in age.  She was temperamental and had a propensity for violence when angry.  She bit, hit, and gouged skin when she pinched me.  She could rage when angry.  I often had to deal with it by myself, as calling my mother just met with "Quit your fighting!  I'm at work."  But it was more than that.   More than just sibling stuff.  She beat on me regularity and I was fearful of her.

My mother did not seem to try, very hard, to stop her from attacking me.  My father told me to fight back.  I did, twice.  The first time, I finally go angry and dragged her down the stairs and shoved her out of door, locking her out until she calmed down.  My sister LOVES to tell this story now that we are adults as proof of what an asshole I was to her.  The second time was when we were teenagers, me a senior in high school.  I actually got the best of her that time.  I don't remember her physically attacking me after that.

My mother appeased my sister a lot.  I remember a lot of things we kept from my sister when she was really little, so that she wouldn't get mad.  She got her way a lot, and mom had convinced me that just giving her her way was easier than fighting.  My mother complained a lot to my dad that she couldn't get my sister to do anything.  My dad, a depressed hard-ass, would step in and over do things in an attempt at discipline.  And then, when he would leave, my mother would rush to my sister's aide and take back every boundary he'd just set down.  The family often helped my sister with her homework (me too).  My sister will say differently, but she was catered too.

But I loved her.  And we were friends, I suppose.  We had a lot of laughs.  I protected her and looked out for her.  I shared my friends.  I comforted her.  We were always lumped together by my mother from swim lessons to dance class.  I often was enrolled in lower age levels to accommodate my sister.

When my parents divorced, I went into ultra protector mode.  I took care of her, often literally.  NM left us alone a lot on weekends, and I was "in charge" again.  Except I couldn't control a depressed, wild preteen with a propensity to drink and sneak out and rebel.  But I was held accountable.  Often, I just covered for her, as it was easier than dealing with my mother who would rage at us for wrecking her weekend.  When I left to my dad's, she followed.  She hung out with my friends, was with me a lot.  But my dad and her fought, occasionally violently as he tried to get her under control.  I was still lumped in with her.  Once, when my NM found my sister's birth control, she searched my room too.

My sister moved back with my mother when dad and she could no longer be on the same room hardly.  My sister became out of control.  She snuck out, hung with drug dealers, did drugs, ran away.  And by this time my dad had moved, so I moved back with my mother too.  My sister stole from me (or allowed other's to steal from me), was drunk or high, hardly went to school, and was a general mess.  It was horrifying.  And my mother struggled to help her.  I hated being at home, so I often stayed at my boyfriend's house.  I had a job and was in the drama club.  So, I lived out of a duffel bag.  I fed myself at night.  I got myself to school.  I went to work, to practice, and did all my homework-almost straight As).

My sister got worse and worse.  Involved in a robbery, suicides, mental ward stays.  Drugs, and beaten, and raped, and drunk.  She dropped out of school when I was at college.  On one occasion, my mother had to drive eight hours away to pick her up because she'd run away.  My sister was sick.  Very sick. She tried to commit suicide many times.  And to this day, my grandmother and my sister have conflict over a time when NM dropped my sister off with her.  Grandma claims that my sister tried to steal from her and was horrible (which is most likely true).  Grandma claims NM was less than sympathetic.  NM also dropped my sister off with me at my college to stay for the weekend.  I was terrified all weekend my sister would freak out and embarrass me.

I often hated going home from college.  It was stressful and my sister and I openly despised each other now.  She was angry at me, stole from me, or was generally miserable.  My mother was stressed and looked horrible.  I blamed my sister and was SO angry at her for what she was doing to my mother.

Somehow, my mother got my sister a GED, got her in art school, and shipped her down to my father's.  There, she created more havoc and was still out of control.  My father and step-mother fought horribly and blamed my sister (occasionally, unfairly.  Stepmom's a doozy too.  But my sister does create chaos).  It was rough there too, and I often stressed as I listened to the stories.

My sister worked at some strip club as a cocktail waitress, she had an abusive boyfriend, she still was drinking and partying to excess.  Her boyfriend was an asshole and their relationship was abusive.  She got pulled over for drunk driving.  And on and on and on.

My sister and I often didn't speak at all during this time.  We were not close, knew nothing of each other, and never spent time together.  At my wedding, I prayed that she wouldn't cause chaos.  She did, but I was able to get around it.  We knew nothing of each other and disliked each other.

NM decided at this time to plan some "girls' weekends".  Two of the worst weekends of my life.  There was drama and fights and tears and rages.  It was a war zone, often with two people feuding and the other left comforting each other.  Often my sister and I comforted each other against NM.  We knew she was horrible to us, but we couldn't put the finger on it.

As horrible as these trips were, when they were done, NSis and I talked.  We started to compare notes (all you ACoNs know where I'm going with this).  We discovered the triangulation.  The attempts by NM to blame the other sister for all her "stress".  She would tell both of us how horrible the other was.  You can imagine my surprise when I discovered my mother blamed ME for any stress.  Here, I had thought I was supportive and the good daughter and the one who was helping her with my awful sister.  But some issues over my wedding and fights (as I figured out later) over my emerging independence, had apparently made me an enemy.

For awhile, I thought NSis was getting her shit together.  The boyfriend was a jerk, but she seemed better.  Normal.  More stable.  She seemed to come up for air and catch a glimpse of reality.  She got through college.  She and I talked about things.  We seemed to be closer now that we had identified "the enemy".  It was so nice to feel I had an ally.  That someone out there understood and I wasn't crazy.  That yes, NM could be horrible.  Sure, she still called me at 3 a.m. (despite me having to work in the morning) sobbing and drunk.  There were still A LOT of crazy things that happened...lots.  But they seemed to be getting farther apart.

Things went on like this for a couple of years.  NSis and her boyfriend's relationship kept dissolving into worse layers of dysfunction and I convinced NSis to get out, move away, start over.  I really believed that if she moved, got out from under the thumb of my parents, started over with new friends, she'd grow up.

So, she moved.  And things didn't get better.  She just found the same people in a different town.  She wound up in the same situations.  Still chaos.  Still drama.  Domestic violence.  Severe accidents. Suicides. Late night drunk phone calls.  Lots of drinking.  And she became less interested in me again.  She had no time to really be supportive.  I mean, she would make token gestures, but nothing significant.   And she demanded me to be there for her.  To support her.  She clung to me as her sounding board and foundation.  But she was angry and aggressive and I could never really tell her how I felt about anything.  I still feared a huge emotional reaction from her.  Whenever she was around,  I worried constantly about pissing her off.  I also made excuses for her and defended her and explained to my parents that they didn't know how hard things were for her.  I felt for so long it was my job to protect her, and I had a hard time laying that down.

She hurt my feelings.  She dismissed me.  On occasion, she'd call me up and chew me out for something I'd done.  Or blame me again for NM being angry.  She always acted like her life, her problems to priority.

And then, last summer all shit hit the fan, and I couldn't take it anymore.  And I'm no longer talking to my sister any more.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that this latest "riff" isn't just some little fight, but a life long pattern of dysfunction between us.  That the stress and anxiety and destruction she brought to my life was there for years.  That she was destroying me.  And I was sick of dealing with it.


I realized the other day that she's been weighing on my mind.  Over the holidays, we each had a birthday, and I was holding my breathe waiting for her attacks.  She tried desperately to manipulate me, but I held out for her to deal with me in a real way.  And now that the holidays have gone, I feel like the pressure valve has been turned down.  I don't feel it so pressingly.  My parents haven't mentioned her to me.  So, I don't know what is going on with her.  And it's peaceful.  But she's there, pressing me.  Pressing that little nagging voice in my head.  I know this isn't over yet.  And I'll have to figure out what to do soon.  And until I do, she'll always be like a weight sitting over my head.    But, really, we didn't have a "real" relationship at any point in our lives, what is there for us to build one on now?

17 comments:

  1. I always find myself waiting for that big confrontation. There's always these series of little ones, and lately (for us, since we're already NC) it's been a lot of little quick hit and runs by the narcs and their monkeys. But the stress that something big is coming, that something huge is just looming on the horizon, is ever present.

    "I remember a lot of things we kept from my sister when she was really little, so that she wouldn't get mad." <--That bothers me a lot. It's the stem of an unhealthy relationship, bred and raised by your NM. She expected you to shoulder the responsibility of your sister's feelings. She couldn't handle your sister's rage, so she placed that burden on you instead. And she wanted you to keep secrets from her. And I believe secrets have a lot of power; they are a completely destructive force. They cause resentment and guilt and shame and anxiety and grief and nothing good can come of them.

    Whether that was your mother's intent or not doesn't really matter much to me. It was an evil thing to do to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I look at how I raise my kids now, I realize that sometimes, as parents you might "hide" something here or there because you can't explain it to the littler one (for example, when my older son has a treat that is a chocking hazard, I try not to let the baby see it because there is no way to explain to the baby why he can't have the gum/chewy candy/whatever.). But it's meant in a way to not deprive my older son from things, but protect the baby. And I REALLY try to limit this. But with my mom, it was always "just do this so she won't cry...". I remember in particular that I used to have to hide during naps so my little sister wouldn't know that I was awake (and not needing a nap) and she was. It was a cop out on my mom's part. And it went on and on and on. Things like this. Her intent wasn't to breed a relationship of secrets, but that was the outcome. And it continues to this day.

      The big confrontation. That's the hard part. I guess, at least with NSis, things actually come to this "blowing up" point. (And it still is stressful to never know when this big confrontation will happen for sure but I at least know it's coming.) But the harder thing for me is all the little attacks. NMIL is like this. There never is a "big" thing I can call her on. Never anything I can fucking point to. She's like a little mosquito, buzzing around, driving me crazy, drawing blood in secret. I wish she'd freak out, go all crazy once, call me the nasty DIL she thinks I am. She's smarter than that though.

      And it's all so stressful. Like always living on high alert.

      Delete
    2. "There never is a "big" thing I can call her on. Never anything I can fucking point to. She's like a little mosquito, buzzing around, driving me crazy, drawing blood in secret. I wish she'd freak out, go all crazy once, call me the nasty DIL she thinks I am."

      Yep. I hear ya. They don't want to play that card because it makes them look like the "bad guys." I think they'd rather just pretend they LOOOOOOOVE you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO muuuuccccch, so that it's impossible to explain to people how much they actually hate you. Hate, anger, dislike...it all looks bad for them.

      Delete
  2. jessie,
    Oh, jessie. Ouch. I'm so sorry that you were placed in just a tough spot from so early on. The sibling relationship (and especially the same-sex sibling relationship) has such deeply rooted bonds. In a normal upbringing, with no triangulation and interference from an NP, you should have been able to count on each other.

    I have (had?) a sister, too, and she's as 190 degrees from me as it sounds like yours is. I don't know the solution, but I can tell you that for me, the wounds have become shallower with time and introspection. It sounds like you're there now. Keep examining that relationship closely for clues.

    I'm hoping you can find some peace.
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanci.
      I actually really ache for my sister. She has been so deeply wounded, in such a similar fashion, I can't help but identify with her. And that takes some of the sting off of what she is. I know how and why she got that way, and I know none of it is actually about me. I've always felt very maternal towards her and protective. And I always will to some extent.
      But she's like watching a porcupine stuck in a leg trap. I feel for her, I want to help her, but I get hurt each and every time I try to get close.

      And I don't know how she will ever not be a porcupine.

      Thanks for the love and peace!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the thing is, I know that if things had been different, she and I would've been much closer.
      For all of our differences, she and I operate on a very similar frequency. She can often read what I'm thinking off my face or actual intuit what I am thinking. She knows me in a way that many others don't. Somewhere, way done in there, is a very strong bond.
      But it's all been fucked up and muddled together with this other bullshit, and I don't know how we would ever be able to separate it out.

      Delete
    3. Your sister would have to do a LOT of work on her own before you'd be able to muddle through anything together. And right now, it just doesn't look like she has plans to do that.

      Delete
    4. jessie,
      I used to get stuck in longing for my sibs, and I did and still do feel empathy for them as I know that they survived - in a lot of ways - the same horrors that I did.

      But I had to come to a crossroads on it, and for me it came down to this: I lived through the hell of our shared childhood and from that I made a choice to grow up and do different, to be different. They made a choice to continue to stay on the fucked up path of dysfunction that the Nparents set us all on. I can excuse their childhood transgressions, I can feel empathy for the pain of our upbringing. But that place where our paths diverged and I left the dysfunction while they stayed in it and eventually embraced it, that was a choice that each of us made.

      It didn't make it hurt any less to lose my sister and my brother, and it didn't make it hurt any less to intellectually understand that when push came to shove, they CHOSE to push me back under the bus, but it did help me to stand firm in my decision to sever contact and to move on.

      It's a tight spot that you're in, jessie.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    5. Thanks Vanci, that's a good way to look at it. Especially since I've been waiting over 15 years for her to "come to Jesus" and turn things around. I could've accepted her languishing in the narc-filth for awhile trying to get her orientation. But it's been painfully clear lately that she refuses to DO anything to get out of the filth.

      Delete
    6. Jessie, do you suppose that your sister will not make the effort to save herself because she was raised to believe that you were the caretaker? Like you, I was raised to never, ever upset my sister in any way. Never forced to face reality or bear the consequences of her actions, my sister has become a spoiled, narcissistic nightmare and she's *furious* with me that I am not fixing all her problems for her. One of my last interactions with the crazy NFOO was my parents' demand that I take a day off work immediately and go pay (out of my own pocket) to get my 40-year-old sister's car out of impound, where it was towed after a huge amount of unpaid tickets. When I declined, my sister raged, "What, do you expect ME to do it?" It sounds to me as if your sister is expecting you to jump in and fix her.

      Delete
    7. Geez, Anon, pay to get your 40 year old sister's car out of impound? That's ridiculous. I will say that no one expects me to front her money (except when I visit her or vice versa, and then she often comes to expect me to pay her way for things, pay for dinner...you know, because I'm being privileged with her company).
      My sister has very little self-esteem. She has a horrible fear of failure. And she often expects my parents to be her safety net. She milks them for all kinds of money. She's never really had to deal with the consequences. And then she uses me to help "support" her emotionally.
      So, it's a kind of many-faceted problem, but yes in the end, she doesn't know how to deal with reality.

      Delete
    8. Jessie, it's the same anon; the big deal with the car (to the NFOO) was not so much that I pay for it, but that I take the time off work, go down to the impound lot, and bail her out of her mess so she wouldn't have to "waste her time" (or go through the process). Somehow the NFOO sees great glory in never having to deal with their own mess, like it's a badge of honor. It seems to me that your sister also wants someone else to do the "hard" work of her life. :-) And yes, how do you not see how incredibly honored you are to be allowed to buy her dinner and bask in her reflected glory? :-)

      Delete
  3. Reconciliation takes two willing to work at it. This does not sound like one of those situations. The toughest job I had was to stop trying to fix and take care of everyone else. I still lend a helping hand but I am learning that sometimes I need to put my hands in my pocket and step back. Cool that you recognize the triangulation by your parental unit. Took me a long time to get what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've recently realized that I, too, was contributing to her dysfunction (even though I was trying to be a supportive counter force to NM). And I just could not take the constant extreme chaos in her life any more. Especially when I didn't see her making any attempts to help herself (real attempts anyway) and when she kept putting herself in the same situations. It was a hard thing to realize that she really isn't going to change.
      And NM's triangulation is now so obvious it's laughable!

      Delete
  4. I am re-reading Anna Valerious' blog from the beginning, and actually had just read this one recently:

    http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2007/06/are-we-required-to-keep-sibling-in-our.html

    I'm sorry that your sibling relationship is so fraught and contentious. This narc stuff just keeps on coming, no matter what it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "this latest "riff" isn't just some little fight, but a life long pattern of dysfunction between us. That the stress and anxiety and destruction she brought to my life was there for years. That she was destroying me. " That is it, isn't it? You don't wake up one day and find that you have a bad relationship with someone out of one disagreement, I would say that most people are happy to be forgiving of a few disagreements here and there, but what we're dealing with is "a life long pattern" and we're just tired of living with this sort of abuse. Because it is a form of abuse. Living to "appease the beast", that's what our parents did with them all their lives and expected us to do the same too. Except that "appeasing the beast" was always at our expense not that of our parents. That it ends up destroying us. As I read all the comments I was thinking that the only way our siblings might change is to let them experience the consequences of their own actions on their own. To stop rescuing them. To stop picking up the bill for them. Even then they might not change, but now I definitely know that "rescuing" them will not help, even if it looks so on face value, and as hard as it is to watch them fall rock bottom I can't see any other way out of it.

    ReplyDelete