Releasing the past in order to find myself

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mother's Little Helper

I have some random memories floating around lately.  And also, some relationships in my life have come into much clearer focus.  So, I have some random stories to tell.  I'm really not sure what they have to do with anything, except that I want to write them.  I've avoided discussing individuals in my life in too much detail, as some sense of wanting to respect their privacy has held me back.  But now, although I still don't want to reveal to much about any one person, I need to write these stories down.

NM always says I was a good baby and toddler.  Compliant, easy going.  Easy.  I was always "easy" she said.  NSIS was not.  NSIS was demanding and irritable.  More needy. 

And so, from the start, I became mommy's little helper.  I helped coddle NSIS.  I gave in so that NSIS wouldn't cry.  I tried not to make NSIS mad.  I worked hard to keep her happy.  I worked hard to help NM. 

NM always says that I was a pretty good child.  That is putting it mildly.  I rarely got in trouble.  I did all my chores.  I got straight As.  Always.  My teachers loved me. (I was teacher's helper too.  I didn't realize until much later that, although I liked to help, I sometimes resented being too busy "helping" to enjoy things the other kids did at school.   Like goofing off, or having more social time.)  I did lots of chores.  I was in charge every day after school  and all summer long of my sister.  I did chores and was expected to make her do her's.  HA.  NSIS would explode.  She was violent and very physically abusive.  This wasn't a "sibling" fight.  This was every few days, her attacking me, me trying to restrain her (I never wanted to hurt her).  Me living in fear of pissing her off.  But also being "in charge" of forcing this willful child to do things she didn't want to do.  And if she didn't do her chores, I got in trouble. 

I also got in trouble if I called my mom, begging for help.  She saw the bruises and bite marks and claw chunks from my arms.  She new my sister raged.  But we "both" were fighting.  So, I got in trouble for that too. 

But I continued to help.  I often felt sorry for my mom.  I wanted to help.  I always tried to smooth things over.  I always was the good girl.  The less trouble I got in, the less trauma there was around our house.  My dad was depressed and often raged and life at home was tense.  I wanted to help.  I offered to start dinners for my mom.  I never asked for help on homework.  I didn't ask to be involved in activities because I knew it would stress my mom out to get me there. 

When my family exploded with the divorce and we all fell apart, NM disappeared for a few years.  Sure, she was still "there", but she was often busy.  Busy with her new boyfriend and his family.  Traveling to see them.  Enjoying her "new life".  She left me in charge of NSIS a lot more.  Whole weekends.  Over night.  With a child that snuck out and drank constantly. 

But I was still the "good girl".  I quit expressing my feeling about the divorce and how upset I was because NM said I couldn't feel that way because it was her "turn to be happy".  So, I ducked my head and shut up.  I still got on honor roll at school.   I was in school activities.  I held down a job.  I often (like most of the week) would stay at my boyfriend's parents house so I could go to work. 

I tried to be there for NM.  By now, NSIS was in full on crazy mode.  FULL on.  I felt badly again for NM.  The stress showed on her face.  I tried to help her with my sister.  I helped hold her down when she was trying to leave.  I stood by to help NM when NSIS was out of control.  I listened to her.  My first year of college, NM called me constantly with horror story updates of what my sister had been doing (really, truly, the stories were often horrific to me.  Still are.)  I wanted to be there for NM.  NM dropped NSIS off one weekend (a weekend of a friend's wedding that NM forced me to take NSIS to.  Which was just were I wanted my 17 year old, out of control sister was at a wedding of collage aged kids.)  I listened to NM.  I offered advice (that was rarely taken).  I tried to reason with NSIS.  I tried to talk to her.  I really couldn't stand her at the time. 

Slowly, NSIS evened out a little bit (although did not mellow out.  She is still is very crazy but it's not as intense.)  But I continued to be there for NM.  I listened as she complained about her new family (the family she had "dumped" me and my sister for a few years earlier.  I was reminded that I should be "over that" and have "moved on" and how long was I going to talk about the divorce for).  I listened for HOURS every week on the phone.  I drove to see her.  I visited several times a year.  She visited me.  I listened to her talk about NSIS, how hard it was.  How NSIS was still getting into serious situations.  I agonized with her.  I tried to help her with NSIS. 

I had always idolized my mother when little.  I wrote books about her and dedicated to her.  I crafted special gifts.  I saved my money to buy her presents.  I cooked and cleaned and babysat.  And this continued as I got into my late 20s.  I bought special gifts.  I tried to find ways to make her feel special.  I worked hard to develop a relationship with my step father (a man who helped my mom cheat on my father).  I tried to blend into NM's new family (like she wanted me too).  I cooked special meals, took her out to special dinners.  I celebrated her birthdays and most holidays with her.  I bought nice wine when she came.  I tried. And fucking tried. 

I continued to be NM's venting partner when she needed to unload about NSIS.  She unloaded her stress and pain and anxiety onto me.  She wouldn't let me separate from it.  She often said that she "shouldn't be the only one who has to deal with (NSIS)".  That the responsibility of it was shared.  And since my dad refused to do that with her, I became that person. 

I sent Mother's Day Cards, birthday gifts, thoughtfully bought and carefully wrapped.  I tried to find ways to listen to her advice (which I often didn't want, but felt it made her feel "included" in things.)  I continued to listen to HOURS of complaints.  HOURS of negativity.  NSIS did little of this.  NSIS often forgot NM's birthday.  Often didn't send cards (or even call).  Kept NM up stressed at night.  Called NM screaming in the middle of the night (on the phone, often drunk, often in serious trouble).  She was a difficult child.  She was a difficult teenager who was involved in almost everyone of parents' worst nightmares that I can think of.  She often didn't acknowledge or even thank my mother.  She got in trouble and didn't care (and certainly didn't feel remorse).  She caused horrific stress to my step father (and step family).  Again, put them in actual danger. 

And very recently, NM described BOTH me and my sister as ungrateful, neglectful children.  Children who certainly didn't appreciate her, didn't show her respect, didn't love her enough.  Both of us.  All that shit I did, all those years.  I didn't do it to earn her love; I did it because I DID love her.  And it didn't matter to her at all.  To her, I was the same as my selfish, crazy, mean little sister.  Ungrateful little brats, the both of us. 

Sometimes I don't know if it hurts more that she doesn't know how to love me, or that she wouldn't allow me to love her.  God knows I tried. 

19 comments:

  1. "Sometimes I don't know if it hurts more that she doesn't know how to love me, or that she wouldn't allow me to love her."I just commented today to a friend about my mother. Not that she was such a bitch (which she was), but that she wouldn't allow me to just be her son. That she really didn't have to do any work but just step back and drop the bitch front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got that. Why they always seem to make it so damn difficult. It would be so much easier to just step back, as you say, and let it be.

      Delete
  2. Drats, it seems like all that mattered to her was that each of you failed to be her puppet. --quartz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is such a child, that she has some warped view of us as dolls. And when the dolls decide to use their own brains, yes, she gets quite upset.

      Delete
  3. Most freeing day of my life was the day that I understood that my behavior did not change my mother's opinion. No matter how much I did for her, she still viewed me as not doing enough. It is so sad that your mother can't see what an amazing wonderful daughter that you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that moment about two years ago. When she was complaining to me because I wouldn't clear my whole schedule during December to accommodate her coming to visit (when and IF she decided she could come). I offered her up a weekend, plus said she could come any time in January. This caused her to go on a tirade about how horrible "her kids" were. I mean, obviously, my sister rarely puts NM first and doesn't like to spend a lot of time with her. But I really made efforts to include NM and visit. And that's when, like you, I realized nothing I did made a difference. I'd always been an ungrateful little brat.
      I'm still coming to terms with that. 30 years of conditioning are hard to rewire. But it has, and continues, to free me, every day.
      Thanks for your kind words Ruth.

      Delete
  4. She doesn't know what love is. It isn't you; it really is her, all about her, what she wants, she needs, she believes. As you know all too well, you can't change her. Good for you for choosing to change yourself and not become like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I'm definitely a work in progress.

      It's so hard to wrap one's brain around the fact that it is your mother's problem if she doesn't love you. Hard not to take it personally. But I'm getting there! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. It's interesting that "very recently" she started placing you in the same category as your sister: IMO, she's trying to punish you for all your Boundary work and is trying to provoke a response so hopefully you'll rescind your Boundaries and go back to being her "good girl." (Needing her approval.) I experienced something very similar-How that stung! At the time I felt very confused and hurt; I didn't see this as the manipulative, nasty move it really was.
    I'm also struck by how lonely you must have felt growing up. It appears you were the emotional (and physical) dumping ground for both your Nsis and "mother." Who did you have to talk to? Who supported you? To whom did you bring your fears, worries and concerns? No one, I bet.
    I'm so sorry, Jessie. This was not a childhood or adolescence; it was indentured servitude. What a selfish, mean, nasty, jealous woman she truly is and has been. (And a grade B actress.) There's nothing "in there," just an empty vessel of a human being. Her failure on every front is her own doing.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more recently (although it's actually been the last few years. Not ironically, since I had my own children), that she's been lumping me together with NSIS. But I think too she's actually done it all my life, whenever I "strayed" too much. Defining me as a "bad girl" was always a sore spot for me. I never wanted to be like my sister. And it does sting and hurt. And it is very confusing (I have another post coming today that will show just how confusing the situation can be for me).

      It was very lonely, TW. I was the peace maker and the "glue" amongst them all. Dad was no better, angry and full of depression and rage, but he was the "best" I had. NSIS and NM have always been "close" (read: very enmeshed) and NSIS was NM's favorite pet. I was almost invisible a lot (unless I stepped out of line. That had nasty consequences, so I rarely did that.) I had a NM grandmother and my other grandmother, who my father is currently labeling as personality disordered (and I think he might be partially correct) was as close to a "maternal" figure that I had. But I had no one to talk to about any of this. I didn't even have a lot of friends. I always felt guilty for having friends who "took me away from my own family". Not that NM ever said that to me, but I always felt that way when I was a kid (what 8 year old thinks like that?!).
      Be dutiful, be quiet, be obedient. That was my childhood. I didn't discuss boys, or problems with friends, or teachers, or anything with NM. I learned to not complain about NSIS (because I got punished for it). I don't remember a mom would comforted and hugged and supported me. She always seemed....annoyed by motherhood. And then, when she "dumped" our family for her "new" family, it sort of all made sense. What doesn't make sense is her new (in the last 10 years) to reinstall herself back into our lives. To suddenly think she can step back in and play the part of loving, and devoted mom. To have the "relationship" she claims we had in the past. Really? WHEN? I mean, I get WHY she is doing it (she's getting older, is lonely, and has no friends. The "new" family can't stand her.) So, she's coming back to us. What I don't get is why she thinks she CAN do that? Why, after years of abandonment (and years of emotional abandonment), she thinks she can just step in and "be my mom" again? Fucking deluded, she is.
      Thanks for your comment, TW.

      Delete
    2. I might add too, that when I met my husband's family, I was so excited to "FINALLY" have a family. Maybe a mother to talk to. So much for that. Sort of out of the frying pan, into the fire kind of thing.
      It is what makes things so lonely now. No mom, no MIL to talk to. No aunts or grandmothers to work out normal motherhood kinks with. No one for support or to lean on. It is incredibly lonely, incredibly hard.

      Delete
    3. I felt that same way too, so excited to 'finally' have a family and then it didn't work out with MiL either. It is incredibly lonely and hard. Hugs.

      I was sad to read how your mother was not able see who you are - a wonderful person. Her enmeshing you with your NSIS is as what you say in the previous comment a cruel punishment for you breaking out of her's.

      The random memories float up for me to because of something someone says. So strange how it connects. xx TR

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry you've been through this TR. And just to whine for a moment, it seems incredible unfair.

      Delete
  6. This is so painful to read about, I can't even imagine the pain of having lived it. This line really struck me - "I often felt sorry for me mom." That is, of course, how she wanted you to feel, at all times, because it forced you into the "perfect" role of servitude. YOU were the mom, and it's so apparent in this description. She blatantly told you that you were just as responsible (if not more so) for your sister as she was; all the gifts and time you gave to your NM parallel what a mother should have been giving her own daughter (in a healthy relationship). There is so much here to discuss, I often don't know where to start when I'm reading your posts. Your NM was (and continues to be) an emotional child who demands your constant attention, and like others have said before me, nothing you ever did or will do will be "good enough" for her.

    Oh - and the fact that she burdened you with your sister pretty much made it impossible for the two of you to have even a decently healthy relationship. Your mother was too busy boinking her boyfriend (eventual second husband) and making herself "happy" to appropriately deal with her one unruly daughter (who's behaviors you could probably trace almost entirely to how she was treated by her parents) or give her older daughter the kind of love, nurturing, and attention she needed. This is all such a grotesque portrait of "motherly love."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often don't know where to start with this shit either. It's been such a knot of dysfunction to untangle. But, she most definitely is an emotional child. Round about 14 years old, I suspect.
      It is no coincidence that NM was also Mother's little helper. She was in charge of her siblings. She took care of them (and the family) a lot. And she just sent it right down to me.
      The chaos that was my sister in her teen years would have been too much for any NORMAL ADULT to deal with without professional help. But, she just left it all up to me. She's fond, even now, of saying that NSIS's "family will pull her through". She doesn't acknowledge that NSIS probably needs more help than any of us can give (especially the dysfunctional family that greatly contributed to her being like this!)
      And no, there was no hope of NSIS and I having a descent relationship when NSIS considered me a second mom. She's often said that to me, even said my home felt more like "home" (she always gets emotional coming here). I even brought this up to NM during our most recent face-to-face exchange. NM said "she only said that because of some of the things I was going through at the time." and waved it off. Now, doesn't that about say it all? She clearly doesn't even understand that is a HUGE thing that her daughters felt one was more of a mother to the younger than she was. Blech.

      Delete
  7. And really, after all that, it's no wonder why she's constantly raking FB for "likes" on her amazing, stupendous, super-duper parenting skills. If she If she portrays you guys as being "awesome, super-duper, perfect" daughters, it's a double-whammy - On the one hand, your awesomeness reflects on HER awesomeness (hence, it's not really about you, even if you are fucking awesome - which you are). And on the other, she gets to raise that damn bar of expectations so that you'll feel obligated to fulfill the role she's placing you in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an excellent point and one I hadn't fully considered. Thanks for pointing it out (and making it much more clear to me.)

      Delete
  8. This post is such a good description of how we get to the point of "learned helplessness". When year after year, we're trying to have a good relationship with them and NOTHING we do makes any difference: no wonder we felt depressed. Talk about taking one's power away :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost a feeling of being invisible. Like a ghost. There in "spirit" but unable to change anything. Depressing, frustrating, and sad.

      Delete