Releasing the past in order to find myself

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

In and Out of the FOG

The F.O.G. (fear, obligation, guilt) is eating me alive.  I am struggling.  Struggling in my desire to protect myself, my family, my life from being swallowed by the chaos of my sister's life.  Struggling to put my new found skills to use.  Knowing in my head what I should do.  But feeling in my heart and stomach and body such an ache.  Such stress, and anxiety, and hurt.

I finally sent my sister a quick email.  I didn't want to call.  I didn't want to play her games, listen to her sob, knowing that it was all a bunch of unloading.  I know that she has either not called, or talked little with, my parents.  She still hasn't communicated with me at all.  Which is crap.  She needs to be an adult.  I'm tired of chasing her around, throwing myself at her, desperate to have her let me help her.  So, I emailed.  I told her I had heard she had health problems (because no one still knows what the actual diagnosis is and she STILL hasn't made a follow up appointment, even with NM on her back).  I told her to let me know if she needed anything.  That I was thinking of her.  I felt good about the message.  I wasn't playing into anything, but felt I was extending myself to her, but wasn't wading into the pool of crap.   She responded with "I am.  I would like a friend."  And that's it.  I don't even know what to do with that.  She still didn't address anything directly.  I'm sure that there is anger and annoyance and b.s. in the reply.  I'm not sure what effect she expected the reply to have on me.

This was my one really "fun" week of the summer.  My family knew that.  I have had to fight them all for it over and over.  I doubt that this is too much of a coincidence that it is dropped on me now.  I don't have the time or the energy or the will to devote anything to this.  This week was supposed to be about my family.  Having fun with my kids.  I feel attacked by this.  And I'm sure my FOO would say I was being selfish.  And how could I just go on with my life when they are struggling so (this is a theme in my relationship with them).  I feel guilt.  Guilt that I'm not calling.  Guilt that I am happy in my life.  Guilt that I let their toxicity seep into my life and that it makes me stressed.  And angry.  And that I am less patient and tolerant and available for my kids.  That is effects the type of mom and wife that I am.  That I feel guilty for even thinking about myself and how this effects me.  That I struggle with what a "healthy" family member's obligation to all this would be, compared with my feelings of trained obligation.  That a lot of me just wants to ignore it and hope it all goes away.  But that in doing that things would be irreparably changed.  That it is taking a big step.  That I'm angry.  That I'm struggling with my feelings at all.  That I often feel just the "fight or flight" feeling.  Like a chicken with my head cut off, panicked, and I'm struggling to remain calm.  Struggling through the constant emails and texts and implications that I'm not doing enough.

I'm just struggling and sinking and trying desperately to stay afloat.

9 comments:

  1. Your sister's response is likely the typical narcissist response : the tidbit meant to reel you in by its paucity of information. Your job is to beg her to clue you in.

    It's bullshit. My family pulls this crap and it always turns out to be a controlling thing from them. You might consider not responding at all or if you feel you want to, write an email back saying you're sorry she's unwell and that you're thinking of her (just reiterating your previous email). Like you said in your post, she can be a grown up about it or act like a pouting child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VR for your shoring up for me what I already felt. Sometimes it can be so hard, when you've been knee deep (and waist and neck deep) in this shit all your life. I've decided not to respond. Your point that "Your job is to beg her to clue you in." is exactly on point. And I think that is what makes it so infuriating. The "reality" part of my brain has to always struggle to release the narcissistic "malware" that has been implanted. I struggle in my strength to remember that this is HER problem and that she needs to do something about it without expecting everyone else to do it for her. And if she really wanted to "be friends" then she should act like one. A true friend doesn't string you along, doling out information dependent on you providing them the accurate amount of love and sympathy. I'm trying to remember that her complete lack of regard for my feelings in this situation (not that they should be forefront, but she should at least consider how others might respond to the news) and her complete self-absorption in her self-pity is the reason I have to remain distant. Giving into her crap wouldn't do her any good anyway.
      I told her I would call her next week, so I think I'll stick to that.

      Delete
    2. Narcissistic malware. What an awesome way to put it. I may have to borrow that one :)

      Delete
    3. I would love to take credit for it. I saw it on Kara's blog "The North Wind" and although I don't want to not give her credit if it is due, I believe she quoted it from somewhere too. I will look up the appropriate credit (if Kara doesn't get it for me first!) and post ASAP. But, yes, it is a beautiful articulate way to describe what they do, isn't it?

      Delete
    4. Kara attributes this term to Doug at RumblestripQ.

      Delete
    5. I can't remember where in his blog I read it first, there was a comment he made about his mother that I really relate to: "She has installed this idea that she is in dire need of help." The link to the whole post and comments is http://rumblestripq.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/more-of-what-i-hate.html

      Delete
  2. I agree with VR. It's not the answer that a normal person would give and it is so emotionally draining to have to deal with this rubbish all the time. I think the way forward is to re-train our brain bit by bit, we have been conditioned since childhood to be the care takers of the whole family, well that is an impossible job to keep up, plus it was never our job anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity,
    The intense feelings of guilt and depression over what the right "obligations" are to FOO are part of the software they install on your hard drive over many years. Just keep setting your boundaries, as you did with your email, and try to leave it to them to suck it up and be adults. They have obligations to you too, and they clearly have failed. Today is my bday, and one of my sisters has simply ignored it. This is a sister who several months ago emailed me and told me she wanted to get to know me as a person, not just as "a sister," outside of our relationship with our parents. Said she wanted to Skype. We arranged a time, and the night before she emailed and cancelled with a lame excuse. There was never any follow up, and now my bday goes by unacknowledged. If people are untrustworthy, they are untrustworthy, period, and you don't owe them anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for the thoughts. I agree with you that they have obligations to me too, but I've always been programmed that their obligations to me are favors they grant me, while my obligations to them are commandments.
      Happy Birthday, too! I hope, despite your sister's nasty behavior, that you're having a good day.

      Delete