Releasing the past in order to find myself

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Unanswered Prayers

So, I've been praying a lot for God to guide me and give me strength.  He has answered me in so many ways.  Provided opportunities that have moved my healing along.  Provided insights that have made me more whole again.  But last night, he provided a crazy situation for me.

I have avoided leaving my children with my mother and MIL.  In fact, I haven't really had a babysitter period because I have not known how to rationalize this to the "grandmothers" and have hid behind my breastfeeding as an excuse.  But yesterday, my favorite band announced a concert and it is not something I can not go to.

First and foremost, my husband needs me.  We desperately need some time to just be the two of us.  This band is very important to us (as crazy as that sounds) and we need this time to just be us again.  Everything else we've had has been corrupted by our families and we need this time.  Not to mention, that in five years, I have not taken ONE day off from being a mom.  Not one.  I really think, no, I know, that my kids and I deserve to have a time where we are without each other to regroup.  My kids need some time away from me.  They need to know, that just because I'm not there, they will  be alright.

And in fact, I have left my oldest son.  He has been going to school two mornings a week for a year now.  Sad that I feel safe leaving my son with near strangers but the thought of leaving him with my MIL and Mom sends my anxiety racing.  And if I could somehow figure to NOT use the "moms" I would (I know this will be a suggestion, but I feel somehow, I will need to find a way to allow my kids alone time with their grandmothers).  I plan on finding a more consistent babysitter in my town.  But sometimes, it will require a grandmother.

Here's the reality,  I generally think my kids would be OK with the grandmas.  Ok, one grandma makes me extremely nervous.  She will, most likely, never be allowed to drive my small children, spend a lot of time with my small children, or watch them outside of my home (which is baby proofed, and should provide some cushion.)  She is a space cadet.  She would "tick off the boxes" (to use a good phrase from blogger, Kara) of childcare.  They wouldn't starve.  Eventually,  they will make it to sleep.  I think they will be OK.   But they will be overtired.  She will miss all emotional cues.  She will not be sympathetic when they are sad.  She will try to fix it or distract it and move on.  She will miss the small signs of my shy, independent boy.  She will  not know how to provide and emotional stability.  The other grandma will subtly undermine by sweet boy.  Not often, not intentionally, but she will somehow shame him in a sick game that suggests the shame she feels.  She probably will be short with him.  He will annoy her.

And I wrestle with it all.  Am I being a hypocrite for allowing women who have treated me so poorly access to my kids alone?  Will they damage my boys in the same way they've damaged me?  Or will an hour here, an hour there, teach them that some people are just ridiculous and that their parents unconditional love will carry through.  I can't bubble wrap them from every nasty person.  But what effect does a nasty (if not overtly, but subtly abusive) person do to them?  I don't believe my narcissistic grandmother changed me...but she really had limited access to me.  No contact is not an option.  Chaining my kids to me is not an option.  I need a release.  I need some time away.  But my guilt at not being there for my boys eats at me.  I trust them to deal with occasional disappointment, I think some less than positive feelings for them gives them character and resilience.  But where is the line?  Do these women deserve this?  It is eating me alive.

And as I wrote this, my mother called and left a voice mail.  She had heard about the concert (how in the world she found out this obscure piece of information, when she is SOOO busy at work, unnerves me) and called all hyped up...giddy even.  "I'm calling to see if you need a babysitter for XYZ.  I heard about it and wanted to see if you need a babysitter!!!!" .  What an innocent call from anyone else.  But all I can think is ick.  She is so giddy that she knows this is an opportunity that she has an advantage over me.  The news isn't five hours old and she's on the phone pushing.  Will my kids be all right for the hour and a half she has them?  (And the real sticking point is that she is putting them to bed.)  Probably so.  But what if?  Am I neurotic?  Am I hypocritical?  Does admitting your folks are so horrible, and not doing everything to protect MY family from them, make me horrible?

10 comments:

  1. I don't think your mom damaged you irreversibly. You're still you. That's why you can see that your mom sucks and is evil. Shit happens. Evil people exist. But that doesn't mean you knowingly put your kids in danger. You are you because you took yourself out. Do the same thing for your kids. Listen to your guilt, don't do it.
    Don't put them with the grandmas. You're not you because of your mom. You're you because you can see what your mom is. Shit happening doesn't make you strong. Staying away from it and knowing it when you see it does. Stay away from it.
    Trust me, life is already hard enough without crazy grandmas. Your kids deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Lisa: "Don't put them with the grandmas." They are poison. They are abusive. You know this. Don't expose your children to their toxicity, it will only hurt them!

      Delete
  2. That's a tough one Jessie, when is the concert? Would you be able to find a good babysitter and then say something like :" Oh, we didn't want to bother you because of the concert being late" to the grandmothers? Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still months away, so I'll figure something out. It is just so hard because no one understands why I don't want the grandmas to have too much alone time with the kids, especially the grandmas. I just wonder how much exposure is too much. I don't think one night will hurt them, but it feels like a slippery slope. But my husband and I have been talking a lot about it and he agrees that if anything seems to not work, we'll just stop. He's been really understanding considering it all. I do wish that I was independently wealthy though and could hire a nanny to help out in these situations...like a babysitter on retainer!

      Delete
    2. No one needs to understand! It would be nice if people did, but they don't need to.

      I disagree that one night couldn't hurt them. One night could hurt them. With people like your NM and NMIL, you never know just how deeply they will be able to hurt your children with just a few hours, or even days (over the course of several years, even!) I'm a big advocate of the idea that, if they are too toxic for YOU (as an adult), then they are far too toxic for your children.

      I often refer to DH's memories of his childhood as "defining moments." You never know when one of these times will stick with your kids, when it could be something that helps define them. Help them to define themselves in a healthy way, by not exposing them to these abusive narcissists (especially with no one around to help them!) They need, at the very least, a shield to protect them from the abuse. And if you're not there, then you're leaving them defenseless against those monsters.

      I maintain that it is not safe for your little ones to be around NM/NMIL, and it's REALLY not safe for them to be ALONE with them.

      Delete
    3. Oh, Jonsi, I know you are right. I think the biggest problem is that I'm having a lot of trouble convincing my husband. He just doesn't see it. He thinks because they are boys that they won't be as affected as much. It is a real struggle for me. Sometimes I feel like I have such a long way to go with husband in a lot of this.

      Delete
  3. Never, ever let a narc have access to your children, especially unsupervised access!

    In my ignorance, I allowed my daughter to stay with my NPs during some school holidays because I had to work. Her near fatal eating disorder resulted, according to the experts, mainly from comments made by my NM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prior to the discovery of my mom's narcissism and my going NC with her, I had never thought twice about leaving my children with her.

    That was until the one day I actually did. In fact, I didn't really leave my daughter with her, I was just under the assumption that my mom would watch her in the house while I was outside mowing the lawn. My daughter was just over two years old at the time.

    I was outside mowing when I saw my daughter streaking down the street, unsupervised. Luckily we live on a cul-de-sac in a secluded development, so we get very little traffic, but still: she was unsupervised. My wife arrived home shortly after and saw my daughter also running down the street unsupervised and asked my mom about it. Her response: "Well Shaun's outside mowing, I thought he'd be watching her."

    The point was that I was busy and could not watch her. She had also offered to watch her while I was mowing. But apparently, her phone call was more important that watching my girl so she let her outside and assumed I'd just drop what I was doing to watch her (which I had to do at that point, which I think mom knew).

    I find it interesting that so many of our Ns share so many characteristics. Even when our lives may be so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noted many times on other's blogs that it is like reading my story. I could insert my name and it be just like things I've experienced.
      The lawn mowing incident sounds so like something my NMIL would do. Thankfully, I never worry that my NM will not supervise, or assume that anyone else is watching the kids. She is a safety freak and paranoid. But NMIL has the "community" viewpoint on childcare and assumes that everyone is watching the kids. We were at a pool party one time with my niece (she was 3 that day) and my two kids. NMIL had been put in charge of my niece. My husband and I were in the pool, I had my 6 month old and my husband was playing with/supervising my 3 year old son. NMIL was sitting on the side of the pool and was very uncomfortable (about what I don't know, maybe how she looked in her swimsuit). Anyway, my niece was swimming with one of those floating noodles in water that she couldn't touch in when she went under and couldn't get righted. I flew over and yanked her out of the pool. NMIL didn't do anything. I suggested that she maybe should be closer, but she didn't budge from the side of the pool. Not more than two minutes later, my niece went under again, sputtering and unable to get her face out of the water. I again, yanked her upright (and keep in mind I'm also trying to maintain control of my infant). This time I sternly told her she needed to get in the pool. She argued that she was close enough. I said that (niece) has gone under twice, she's THREE, and she needs someone within touching distance. She argued that my husband was right there. Well, DH was busy watching his OWN kid and was under the assumption NMIL was watching niece. I said, well, DH didn't get to her, I did, and she needs to be supervised. NMIL angrily yanked niece out of the pool and slapped a life jacket on her. Then, she preceded to yell at her husband the rest of the time about not supervising niece. I couldn't understand why she was so angry at ME for suggesting that she keep a better eye on the child in the pool. I couldn't understand why she felt everyone else was watching her. I couldn't understand why her stupid body image problems were more important than the life of her niece, and if it had been a problem to get in the water why she didn't just tell my SIL no!

      Delete
    2. Ew. Just, ew, ew, ew. Heaven forbid the safety of a child supersede the dire consequences of one's hair getting wet. Unbelievable.

      Delete