Releasing the past in order to find myself

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Battling Christmas Plans: NM's use of guilt and intimidation

My mother announced last year, half way into November, that she wanted to visit in the three weekends before Christmas.  She stated the first week was out, as she was going on vacation.  She then stated that she would decide last minute between the next two weekends, depending on the weather conditions. It annoyed me that she wanted to hold us hostage to her whims. Why couldn't she just pick a weekend.  This is an extremely busy time of year for us. But I said none of that. I did tell her that we did have a lot of things going on in those two weeks.  My niece was having her second birthday party, my nephew was set to be born around the same time, in addition to the usually press of holiday parties, work functions, shopping, and our own little family traditions I squeeze in.  In the following weeks, the drama was overwhelming. I received phone calls and emails and texts, lamenting the weather and updating me on every storm that might come.  I repeatedly tried to pin her down on a weekend, as we had other family and friends asking to make plans with us.  No, she couldn't make plans.  No, she didn't know when she was coming.  Stressed, I finally informed her that although she was welcome to come, we did have things we had to commit to.  She became increasingly dramatic.  As it turned out, my nephew was born the first weekend in December.  My husband's family was all in town.  This pushed my niece's birthday to the second weekend in December.  I called mom to let her know.  "Well, I guess that will be alright.  It's only for the evening".  She stated, implying it wouldn't impose on her too much.  I told her no, it would be in the afternoon on Saturday, so most of Saturday we would be busy.  I wasn't trying to push her off, but these events were out of my control, and I really couldn't drop them all to accommodate my mother who STILL wouldn't commit.  As the second weekend in December approached, and she still was drawing out the dramatics of when to come, and the snow, and the horrible roads (and let it be said, I've traveled these roads most Christmas' to her house). I suggested that maybe it would be best to wait until New Year's weekend.  This infuriated her.  She became cold and unresponsive.  I talked to her several more times over the next few weeks, and although she didn't come on New Year's, I assumed it was over.  I actually felt good about setting some boundries.  Then in a phone call in January, it all came out.  While discussing my sister, she stated "I've done a lot of soul searching and I've decided that I need to make myself happy, even if my kids don't care about me".  I was FLOORED.  I lost it.  First off, we weren't even discussing me.  And I never told her she couldn't come.  I simple suggested she come after the dreaded "bad roads" were over, when we could give her more time.  She pouted and whined and said how important it was for her to see my son at Christmas time now that her mother had died and the holidays were so hard.  (For the record, she never really liked my grandmother.  They had a distant relationship at best.  Grandma had died two years before and her death only came up when mom was needing attention).  She couldn't believe I'd be so cruel, but she accepted she wouldn't make it up to see us until my second child was born (this was January; the baby was due in June).  I told her that would be just fine with me.  And hung up the phone.

7 comments:

  1. I've only read the title so far and I'm already nodding my head in agreement with whatever it is you're about to say.

    I feel you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little smiley face icon seems to misrepresent how I feel about your comment. But there isn't an emoticon that expresses "oh, thank god, some support, this makes me feel...happy?relieved? un-crazy?". So, I'll just have to use the :)

      Delete
  2. Yep. Reminds me of ALL the holidays we had to deal with NMIL. Also reminds me of the last time we tried to make plans for a holiday (Christmas 2010) and how I'd had enough of her drama and bullshit and finally said, "That's it! I just had a baby two weeks ago. I'm NOT dealing with her shit."

    She lost her chance. Your mother too. And it's really her loss, because she's missing out on you and your husband and your children. It didn't have to be this way, but this is what she chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord. Isn't it funny how a person has to finally have a baby to have a legitimate excuse in others eyes (and sometimes not even then) to put their own family first? Again, can't wait to read more of your blog.
      I've finally concluded that mom lost her chance too. It could've been better. But I refuse to have holidays that are drama filled and ridiculous. I refuse to have my kids have a mom who is so stressed she can't enjoy these fleeting moments with them. I would've loved big family holidays, everyone cooking, some petty arguing thrown in for spice ;), but a loving environment where I didn't feel battled for attention for my kids, where my kids didn't feel they needed to have the "appropriate" reaction to the gifts, where I didn't feel always on edge. Fuck 'em, I guess.
      We now do small family Christmas' with just "us". They have been lovely, pajama filled days of food, presents, real love, fun, and relaxation. May all your holidays be the same way.

      Delete
  3. I so understand. The "its your fault the weather is bad" or "you live so far and so inconvenient" or "I demand attention on my terms at my convenience and I won't make plans to make it any easier." Yup recognize all that. Good for you for setting boundaries, yes it is uncomfortable but oh so worth it. Hugs you are doing better than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MIL likes to hold off her fit having as well. You'll think you skated through some drama unscathed only to find out weeks or months later that she's just waiting for a good opportunity to unload. Gives them time to plan in how to corner you juuussstt right. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something just clicked for me when you said: "You'll think you skated through some drama unscathed only to find out weeks or months later that she's just waiting for a good opportunity to unload." I used to be prepared for the drama around the "event". It was expected they'd behave badly at my wedding (they did) or at the birth of my kids (they did). But when it comes weeks or months later it always surprises me. I've had NM wait years to lob back one particular insult at me. (I hadn't meant to insult her, but I did. She made a big deal of it at the time. Years later she implied the same insult about me, although it was blatantly not true.) This sort of drama bombing has contributed significantly to my anxiety and C-PTSD.

      Delete