Releasing the past in order to find myself

Friday, April 20, 2012

Fear, Legacy, and Smoke and Mirrors

This process has been hard for me.  That sounds so silly.  How does writing anonymous posts that no one I actually know cause harm?  Why is it so hard and scary?  But I've read some other blogs and some of the comments on my posts, and to say I'm floored, is putting it mildly. They have taken the wind out of me and caused things to bubble up in me that have been long repressed.   I'm often surprised at how many people have similar stories.  Things that have hurt my feelings and made me feel badly have happened to others.  And to realize that they are NOT normal things is a bit shocking. To see that yes, these things were very harmful and could screw up your life and you are not overreacting, or too sensitive, or too dramatic.  To see that others actually think my mom is a crazy person too.

I don't know how I even stumbled on the fact that she was a narcissist.  I just remember reading a list to my husband and asking him if it sounded like Hilda.  Yes, it does he said.  Before, I thought that she and I were mutually responsible for our problems.  I knew she was a nut job, but I didn't realize how far gone she was.

Life seemed to be a house of smoke and mirrors. I never knew (and still often don't) what the truth is, where my feelings have validity.  What is me and what is just a reflection of me that my mother created.  It's hard when I leave the little safety of this blog and look at it all in the harsh light of reality.  I doubt myself.  I wonder if I'm just oversensitive. Should I just let it go; we all have difficult mothers sometimes.   It's been so hard to explain to people.  I don't tell people many things.  My husband sees it, but even he, who is so supportive, sometimes seems to dilute the validity of my feelings.  Yes, that was fucked up, but she meant well.  Yes, she shouldn't have said that, but she just is a sad person.  I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt you.  When I had my son, my mother-daughter conflict was highlighted a bit to some friends.  They would be sympathetic but they never could fully understand the depth of it.  She never beat me, or really verbally assaulted me.  She isn't an alcoholic or a drug addict.  There was never anything I could specifically point to.  And then I stumbled on it today.  She's like Chinese Water torture.  Drop by drop she has driven me crazy.  Not one thing has ever been that bad. Yes, much of it is in the past.  But that's the thing.  It's been the slow drip of incident upon incident that has driven me crazy.  Those past moments were intensified and stacked upon.  Each new hurt amplified the one before because it reminded me that she was never sorry for any of it, and would continue to do it.

I don't trust her.  I never underestimate that she'll throw me under the bus.  She's done it before.  She's sacrificed me for her own selfish needs.  And then she comes back expecting me to be grateful.  To act like she's been the best mom in the world.  To thank her for all that she's done for me.  To need her. Everyone makes mistakes.

  I can't even tell her anything any more.  If I do, it always ends up one of two ways.  She either uses it against me or she uses it to make herself look better.  "Well, what did I do when I was a young mom..."  I never asked for her opinion.  I don't want her advice.  She feels such an overwhelming need to be the "wise" mother.    Or she will imply that I am weak.  She took care of two kids and didn't complain.  You just do it, Jessie.  Everyone does it.  You're being a mother isn't so special and you shouldn't complain so much.  Not that I'm always complaining.  But sometimes being a mom  is hard, or I've had a bad day, or no sleep for weeks.  What do other mothers say to their daughters in these situations I wonder?  Am I just a big baby?

I've often looked at myself and wondered how I got to be who I am.  I have a lot of flaws.  I am overly anxious.  I get stressed easily.  I have an overwhelming desire to be perfect.  I am extremely guarded.  I never like to let people see how I'm feeling, as I am afraid it will make me vulnerable.  I will be open to attack.  I'm good at being composed.   I struggle to set boundaries.  I feel endlessly guilty if I stand up for myself.  I take ownership for other people's feelings.  I worry and stress so much about how what I say or do will be perceived by others.  I'm so afraid of abandonment and being alone that I wall myself off before I can get close.  I don't trust in myself that I'll have the strength to pick myself back up.  I don't really trust anyone.  As a mom, I constantly struggle with the right thing to do.  Am I being too overprotective?  Is this about my feelings or am I just doing what a good mom would to protect her child?  Am I too harsh or insensitive?  Do I make my kids feel important and special?  Am I doing what is best for them?  I have no gauge for what "normal" is.

And the thing that worries me most is fearing that I'll be just like her.  She often implies that now I'll know how she has felt.  Now I'll know what it's like to raise ungrateful brats who throw you to the wind.  She's recently been snipping about how she's been telling people how difficult teenage daughters can be.  I wonder how the hell she would know.  She wasn't there for most of my teenage years.  And by most accounts, I was a good, responsible kid.  But  I hear her voice in my head.  Be careful, Jessie, pay backs a bitch.  If you treat your own mom horrible, some day karma will bite you and you'll get treated horribly by your own kids.  It's a fine line between being honorable and respectful of her (as I don't want to stoop to her level) and protecting myself.

8 comments:

  1. I have this theory about how "it always goes back to the mother." Mothers have such an intense bond with their babies from birth and it's sad when they use that "power" for their own sick and twisted gain. I can't say it enough, your mother (and MIL) are VERY twisted people, who couldn't (or wouldn't) love you the way you needed to be loved.

    Instead of giving you the tools to survive and thrive in this life, she tried to sabotage you so that you'd never leave her. I definitely recommend doing a lot of reading, seeking out the help of a therapist (you could go alone, with your husband, or both), and talking about all of these horror stories you have. They are ALL important, right down to the tiniest things that you may have always thought were insignificant.

    I feel that everything is significant, especially when you're dealing with emotional abuse.

    By the way, a really good book to read (there are many but this one is my personal bible): Who's Pulling Your Strings by Harriet Braiker. I think it might be really helpful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely in the beginnings of processing this all. Therapy is a good idea...just trying to figure out how to go. My mom always spit at me that I needed therapy when she didn't like what I was saying.
      I'm definitely interested in the book! Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. I was trying to figure out if I should even say all that about suggesting therapy and what books to read. I don't want to give advice when it's not being asked for. I also don't want you to think that I'm suggesting therapy because there is something wrong with you. There may be a glitch in the way you think about things (because that's how you were taught to think - like for example, thinking that you're being controlling when you're really not, having a hard time trusting your gut instincts, etc) but I'm not even remotely suggesting that there is something inherently wrong with YOU, Jessie, the person.

      I've just found that those two things: therapy, lots of reading, and a great system of support, are the things that have helped me through my relation-shits with narcissists.

      Delete
    3. It's ironic that you would say that you don't like giving advice unless asked for. That is another one of my "flaws" according to my Dad. My step-monster loves to give advice (read tell me what to do like a commandment) and then they both get all huffy when I don't take the advice. Now, I've always been very open to advice. I really don't mind (and in fact encourage) alternatives to my thinking. But what bothers me is that they have suggested that I'm somehow a bitch for not TAKING the damned advice. But she's another post. If it's even possible, she's another major narcissist in my life, but she's much easier to handle as I see her rarely, and up until recently, my Dad didn't buy into her bullshit and actually encouraged me standing up to her.
      But I digress. I do appreciate the advice. And another irony, I've actually been in the psychology field for years so I definitely find therapy useful and not the slightest condemnation on me. I also think it would be useful, because you are right, I don't trust my gut instincts and I have a internal compass that is off. Well, actually, it's not off, I just have a hard time believing it. So, it's not something I won't do, I think I've just been choosing alternative routes for awhile. I have been to therapy before too, and I'm really good at offering up the right things to say (as I'm very educated in the terminology and therapy methods) in order to hide my vulnerability. I just don't know if I'm ready to talk to a live person face to face yet.
      Thanks again for all your advice. I relish it and have greatly appreciated you taking the time to read and comment on my blog. And so you don't feel any need to hold back in the future, I welcome and encourage your advice!

      Delete
    4. Noted. By the way, I think you are very courageous.

      Delete
  2. I have lived over half a century always knowing things were never normal in my childhood regarding my mother who has never been interested in our schoolwork, never took us anywhere and never gave one compliment to us. We don't even have pictures of us as kids. She divorced my father and dated around and I believe she was a functioning alcoholic.

    I was her scapegoat and got blamed for all of her mistakes and there were many. She was a train wreck, and walked all over everyone her whole life. She even told me she was jealous of me and tried to ruin 3 relationships I had because if she couldn't be happy, I certainly couldn't. She would deny anything if I wanted to discuss her issues. She has lied often to me and about me, I grew up with no love from her and no remorse when she pulled her crap. She chose men over her kids and had no regrets. I finally cut her out of my life after having my kids and never spoke to her again. She never asked about my kids on the phone and that was the last straw. I had sabotaged my life for her sake and hope of her showing me any love to no avail. She passed away recently and I feel sad for no mother who could love me, but felt great relief and finslly free. The road of life has been full of anxiety and depression all because she would not allow me to confront her..ever! Yes, with these people no one matters but them, As the saying goes, "For the want of a nail..a kingdom was lost." I feel my whole life was an illusion and it has changed me for good. Please know these people are not like us, they have no ability to empathize or relate to normal thinking non chaotic people. We must let go and re create our remainder of life for us. Blessings to you through your self disovery.
    Live for you and those who love you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your taking the time to share your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. "And the thing that worries me most is fearing that I'll be just like her."

    You will NEVER be just like her. In just the few entries I've read you are far and away, incomparably, a better mother in your little pinky than in her whole body. Never doubt that.

    ReplyDelete