Releasing the past in order to find myself

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Purpose of Blog

I am new to this.  I was inspired by another blogger to finally tell my story.  But I struggle.  I have been anxious and tense for days.  My heart has palpitated uncontrollable.  My hands shake and I have generalized anxiety even signing up for the blog.  All because I'm afraid to write about my mother.  I'm afraid she'll find this.  I'm afraid she'll be angry.  She will turn it on me and make me feel horrible about it.  But I have to purge these things.  I have to tell my stories.  I have to get rid of them banging around in my head, so I can move on.  I need to let them go so that I can be a better wife, mother, and person.
My parents divorced when I was a teenager.  I have one sister and two step-parents.  My relationship with most of them is...difficult.  But it is my mother who causes the most chaos in my life.  Over the past years, I have become aware of the reality that is my mother.  And as I have started my own family, once blurry ideas have come into sharper focus.  I seen things through a new lens, a new perspective.  And it has left me on shaky ground.  I feel stronger now, but also terrified.  Seeing the reality of my childhood, my mother, and myself has sent me into a tailspin wondering just who the hell I am.  
I hope that by telling my story, even if it's to myself, I can remove myself and move on.  Send it to God with a prayer for healing.  I don't wish to cut my mother out of my life.  There are moments I enjoy with my mom.  In reading on narcissism, I don't believe my mom to be on the far end of the spectrum.  I do believe she loves me and wants what is best for me.  But I think she loves herself and wants what's best for herself more.  I think she is so all consumed in herself that she can't see me.  I think she truly believes she is a wonderful, caring, giving mother who does all for her children and gets nothing in return.  I think she is sick and wounded.  She has reason to have issues.  But she takes it out on me (and other's around her).  In her obsessive desire to be the center of the universe, no one is immune to being sacrificed.  She is an addict, who will do anything to fill her self up with admiration, love and attention.
So, I need to write these stories to let go.  To mourn and release the idea that my mom will ever be that nurturing, supportive mom I so needed.  To see it all in black and white, so that when she is around she no longer controls, and manipulates me and makes me feel so small.
This blog will most likely be rambling.  No rhyme or reason.  I often am too analytical, to thoughtful, to guarded.  I want to give myself permission to just let it go.  To purge the stories as they bubble up.  To find myself, and find my strength, so I will no longer be a player in someone else's script.  

12 comments:

  1. (hugs)

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, so I know you're here and unfurling your own story...

    I totally get the fear and shakiness of starting out a blog. I was so terrified when I first started. And I almost deleted my blog a dozen times. "Why am I writing this? What if they find out? What happens if they read this? Who cares? I am horrible! I can't believe I'm writing this crap! ARGH."

    My first blog entries are just seeped in anxiety and fear and trembling. SO, so scared.

    So, I understand, Jessie. It is scary to say or write the words that we may not have ever said or even considered... until our writing reveals it to us.

    But keep writing. Keep writing and writing, and even when you are afraid, keep writing.

    The fear will let up in time... As you gain strength and courage (you already have by even identifying your NM), you will find your voice gets stronger, less shaky.

    At some point, the fear will grow less... but the important part is to keep singing your song.

    RAWR!
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie!
    I followed over to you from your comment on Kiki's blog, too.
    Thank you for sharing your stories. It's hard to combat that shaky, anxious feeling of doing something differently than you've always done before. Please know that there is NOTHING wrong with wanting to be a better person. I second Kiki - keep writing. :)

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have rarely told these stories to anyone. I have felt so guarded and alone. And even as I write, I feel like I shouldn't be sharing this. Who would be interested in this? Who will believe me? What will people think of me? I fear so much letting people see me. So, thanks for the support. Just knowing someone (or two someones!) out there care means a lot to me and has brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I welcome and would appreciate any thoughts. I feel often like I have no device to measure these experiences and I often tend to believe it is ME and not her. I need some sort of barometer to help me get my barrings and learn to trust my own instincts. I have so few friends who understand this kind of mother. So few people to "confess" too. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same shaky feeling at first - what if my narcissistic father finds the blog? He'll kill me, sue me, tell everyone in my life I'm the evilest of evil witches, and then I'll die.

    Only recently, after reclaiming myself and rereading some of my blog posts, do I realize I haven't actually done anything wrong. I wrote the truth about real events and feelings. The only person who should feel ashamed or guilty is my narcissistic father. If he does find the blog, his best course of action is to pretend he never did.

    We were conditioned to be the ones to feel guilty when exposing our parents' sins! It's so sick! But the truth WILL set you free!

    From what I've read here, I'd put your mother right there at the extreme end of the narcissistic spectrum. I don't know her, but you've already given ME enough to think she doesn't love you and the good times with her are fake. My barometer says she's extremely narcissistic and toxic.

    I'm not interested in cutting my father out either right now and don't believe it's always necessary. Keep yourself safe, don't share anything she might use against you with her, emotionally distance yourself from her, never ever leave your kids unsupervised with her, watch them like a hawk whenever she's around them, and set reasonable boundaries. For most engulfing narcissists, this will eventually inevitably lead to NC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Amen, Pronoia!)

      Jessie, it is good to see a new blogger here. Please know that you are not doing ANYTHING WRONG.

      I felt isolated for so long, even though I somehow KNEW that the things my NM was doing were wrong. The first time I told someone else about the thing she had done to date that hurt me the most, I was shaking all over, and probably the color of a raspberrry... but I told it. And I'm glad I did.

      You will be, too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cassandra! I actually have started to feel better already!

      Delete
  6. I felt scared, too, publishing my own blogs/website accounts to the public...first of my college memoirs (which included abusive experiences), then of my experiences with an abusive/narcissistic couple. And sure enough, they were found: 6 years ago, the subject of one of my college stories, an online bully, found it, and left a comment that I had an "interesting perspective" of what happened. Then the abusive/narcissistic couple found the accounts and blogs I wrote about them, a couple of months ago. All names were changed, but they actually threatened to sue. The denials, twisting of facts and of things that I said, turning it around on me, refusing to apologize for their bullying of my husband and me, saying they did nothing wrong, even outright saying that the blogs gave them "a good laugh"--it was the absolute proof I needed that they are narcissists. I was shaken and scared, but kept my blogs up, though I modified them a bit. Well, it's been two months and while they have been coming to my church on occasion and checking my blog at least once a week, there has still been no lawsuit.... So they can indeed find your blog, so be prepared, but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessie, I sent you an email a few days ago thanking you for your blog, which I came across recently. It's horrible to read but at the same time so good to hear your stories because I can relate. What a relief that I am not the only one who has a mother who is like this. Maybe I will come to the point by reading your story and other peoples' that I can really believe what I'm supposed to - that the problem is her, not me. That is important to my healing, from everything I understand. Anyway, I have not read all of your entries yet but thought I would back up to the first one to leave you a greeting and a thank-you for this blog. I know it is just for yourself, but sharing your story with others is an act of bravery and generosity that will allow others to know they are not alone. Thank you so much, Jessie. -Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, Again, I'm so glad you are hear. I'm glad you've found some solice in my writing and I hope you continue to read and heal. There are many blogs to read, many perspectives, and I've found them all invaluable.
      Thanks for your kind words, J

      Delete