Releasing the past in order to find myself

Monday, August 6, 2012

Henny Penny

Sometimes I think my FOO lives in an alternative universe.  A universe where everything is miserable and horrible.  Where creatures lurk in every corner waiting to jump out and grab you.  Sometimes I don't even know if they are sane.   It seems like the only reality they have is laced in drama and chaos.  That they are addicted to the drama to feel alive.  

No wonder I have felt crazy for so many years.  I'm like Alice in Wonderland, trying to make sense of nonsense.  Trying to rationalize and explain pure craziness.  I'm like an observer to Henny Penny as she runs around claiming the world is ending.  Wondering how she can make the leap to the sky falling from being hit in the head.  Wondering how every few months, a new crisis looms on the horizon.  How we've never, ever, ever had a normal fucking relationship.  How they've never had a normal fucking day.  How everything is so up in the air all the time.

I see them screaming, panicking that the sky is falling and there is nothing I can do.  I am expected to run, screaming, and flailing too.  And less than this is seen as cold and disloyal.   Telling them that I can't live in a perpetual state of chaos is too stressful for me, makes me a weakling.  It is my weakness, not being able to live in the bullshit.  A way to make me out as not as strong.

But how many people have real hardships.  Real struggles and live life still.  How many people face reality and keep going.  Not push it down or minimize the struggle, but just keep going.  Just keep living.  Why must the world stop.  Why must we live in a state of "numbness" in my family?  Why must it always be so damned, fucking difficult?  How can they not see the absurdity of it all?

I am so tired of this bullshit.  I'm tired of my extended family looking at us like freaks.  I'm tired of trying to explain away the unexplainable.  I'm tired of late night phone calls.  I'm tired of getting worked up over the possibles.  I'm tired of living in perpetual chaos.  I'm tired of being "cold" and "heartless" for not responding to every little (and every big) drama.  Of not giving the "right" response and being hounded for it.  Of being pushed and pulled and used.  I'm tired of trying to explain to DH why I put up with it in the first place.  Of feeling, somehow, I need to apologize for having a "normal" life.  Like I somehow am a stuck-up snob because I just have "normal problems" to deal with and my problems can't compare to the drama of others.  Of the implications I should feel guilty for not being "unlucky" and having all the chaos of my FOO.  That I owe them more because I haven't been burdened like them.  Tired of feeling like shit and it effecting my kids because it taxes me so much.  Tired of being a crutch instead of a human being.  Tired of never being able to explain to others what the hell actually goes on in my family and why they are so fucking crazy.  Because really, what sister doesn't support and love and call her sister with cancer.  Who doesn't reach out and do all she should?  Who doesn't do all she can for those who love her?  Someone who has never been loved back.


5 comments:

  1. "But how many people have real hardships." A lot. But at the end of the day they sign off long enough to eat and relax and enjoy their loved ones.
    NPD's chug the dysfunction onward 24/7. Dysfunction is the point of it all. It's not something to be worked around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dysfunction is the point of it all. It's not something to be worked around." Such true words Q. That sums up my mom and sister exactly.

      Delete
  2. But what sister would not tell her family first? Why should your father have to find out through an aunt about his daughter having cancer? Can you see how your sister is actually creating this situation and boycotting her own family from reaching out to her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is making us run after her. Daring us to "prove" our love and support by calling repeatedly and trying to get a hold of her. And all the while she is "resting" and taking it easy. Drops crap like this on us, in a horribly childish way, and then leaves us to stew in it. She doesn't even have the decentcy to give us real facts about what is going on. It is so frustration. And yes, I can see how she is creating this situation. It is just frustrating because now NM is expecting me to support her along too, as well as my sister. It is just insane to me.

      Delete
  3. It is insane. And this post nearly brought me to tears, it is so like my own thoughts since I was 23 or 24... and so relevant to what I am going through this week.

    ReplyDelete