Releasing the past in order to find myself

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bad Days

I'm having a bad day.  I'm not sure exactly why.  I know I'm depressed and sad and teary.  I'm tired and overwhelmed.  I feel like I have a lot to do but no energy or desire to do anything.  I'm irritable and cranky.   I'm being extra hard on myself today.  I'm questioning everything from my mothering to my goals in life to what the hell the point of any of it is.

Yesterday, a friend (I'll call friend EP) had texted DH a few weeks ago asking our plans for Trick or Treating.  Last year, we had plans for BIL and EP and their kids to come to our home and TorT.  Both BIL and EP had asked if they could come over, we hadn't invited them.  But we were happy to have them and their kids over.  Since I had a small infant at the time, we had told BIL and EP that we planned to go out early and while still daylight.  This plan had been in place for a week.  A few days before hand, BIL called twice to see if "things were still on".  I found this suspect, as he usually doesn't double check plans, but didn't think much of it.   On Halloween, DH came home to tell me that no one was coming.   Apparently,  EP and BIL had called each other earlier in the day, discussed how they didn't think the time I'd set to leave would work for them, and made plans with each other at EP's house.  They THEN called DH to cancel on us.   I wouldn't have cared if they had cancelled.  I understood it was difficult for them.  What bothered me is that no one said a thing for a week (both later claimed that they had not spoken to their wives and their wives put the ax on things.) and then the called each other and made alternative plans with each other, before the blew us off two hours before we were supposed to meet up.  I felt it was all suspect.  I fired off two texts to BIL and EP about how I thought it all seemed like b.s. and convoluted.  BIL (surprise) ignored me.  EP and I exchanged heated texts about the incident.  He claimed it wasn't intentional, apologized, and moved on.  Although, I was angry, I felt that I'd at least gotten to speak my piece.

I was surprised this year when EP called to ask what our plans were for TorT.  Of course, (and especially given our recent silent treatment status), BIL didn't ask about our plans at all.  But EP was coming.  DH explained that we are die-hard TorT people.  We'd go out early and be out late, but they were welcome to come if it worked for them.  EP said he'd be there as long as his work schedule didn't change.  By mid-afternoon, DH hadn't heard from EP and was going to call him.  I convinced him not to.  I told him that EP needed to be responsible for communicating with us.  It is not our job to call and double check everything with them (and everyone) all the time.  I want to let other people do some of the work in the relationship.  So, the appointed time came and went.  No friend.  No phone call.  Still no phone call today.  He just completely blew us off.

And today I'm a bit pissed off.  After the huge fiasco last year, I would've thought he'd been more respectful.  It just all seems like such bullshit.

I struggle with friendships.  I don't trust anyone really.   I have lots of friends but I often feel like the relationships are one way streets.  I have friends (and family) who love for me to host parties.  They love to invite themselves to my home.  I can't tell you when the last time someone invited me and my family to something.  I can't tell you the last time someone hosted me in their home.  I get lots of "I miss you!  We should make plans!!" but they don't ever call to make plans.  They always seem to put the responsibility on me.

DH has been pressuring me to go out with girlfriends.  I get the impression that he thinks that if I went out with a couple of friends that I would "feel better".    He likes to have a lot of friends.  He has a lot of friends.  He seems not to get that, yes, I need time for myself, but it doesn't always have to be with friends or at a "girls' night" in order to feel better.

And the truth is that I don't really know how to be friends with girls.  DH also has some fucked up distortion that I was a loner and an outcast as a kid.  That wasn't true.  I actually had a lot of friends.  I had a few close friends.  I tended to feel responsible to spend time with my family, to always be with my family, so I probably didn't hang out with others as much as I could've.  But I always had friends.  I made (and still make) friends easily.  I just don't know how to sustain any sort of relationship.  I was screwed over A LOT by my "friends" in the past.  I found women to be gossipy and catty and two-faced (and I realize not all women are, but the ones I found were.)  And then others just wanted too much of me.  Too much phone time, too much neediness, too much of me.   I always seemed to find friends who made me feel demanded of my time.  Or else it was all one sided.

I'll admit, I'm lonely at times.  I spend all day with my young children, deprived of adult conversations.  I wish I could just let go and have fun and talk with people.  But I feel like every time I  give someone the benefit of the doubt, they shit on me.  I feel like I'll be overwhelmed with demands and expectations.  I feel like they will take more than I can give.  I don't think I can be a good friend back.   And I sometimes feel so overwhelmed with my home and my kids and my crap that  I can't commit any more of myself to a friendship.  I really don't have anything else to give.  I barely have enough for myself at times.  It's a really unfortunate paradox for me.

16 comments:

  1. When my son was small I found that having women friends with kids about the same age worked out best for TorT. The next time he calls to ask you if you're going just say, 'No, why do you ask?'. Hope you feel better!

    Q's Sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Q's Sis. This guy has a kid about my son's age and they are good friends, so it's usually good for them together. I guess I should've said that :). Makes it sound like he's kind of creepy!
      We would've been fine going by ourselves (and were, lots of fun neighbor kids). Just pissed me off he invited himself twice and bailed lamely twice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessie, I hope you won't mind me commenting on your blog, but I can relate to your story.

    It's hard when it feels like...(searching for the right words here)....like you don't want to trust too much because it seems like you get the short end of the stick.

    It's also tough if your past has taught you to keep more to yourself because it was safer that way, yet those who have such easy social success are those who have less invested in their friends. IOW If it takes you longer to trust, then your investment is likely going to be higher. It hurts when it's not reciprocated. It's never pleasant to feel disregarded.

    I also have the feeling you are low on internal resources, that all the things you're trying to cope with have taken up so much space and energy there is not much left over for you, not even for things you might enjoy.

    If that could be the case, it might help to see what responsibilities can be put off or delegated for a while just to relieve some stress. Giving yourself permission not to worry about certain issues for a while can help, too.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena, Welcome! I always welcome comments and I'm glad you have offered up yours.

      I think I am just emotionally spent. I've been dealing with so much on so many planes that I can't keep up. All this work actually takes more out of me than I realize sometimes. Maybe that's why I'm so pissed off when I offer any little bit of myself and someone disregards it as trivial. For me, any little bit of me is a huge investment as there is so little to give.
      I appreciate your thoughts. Please keep commenting if you have something to share.

      Delete
    2. I think Elena's point is so true: "those who have such easy social success are those who have less invested in their friends. IOW If it takes you longer to trust, then your investment is likely going to be higher. It hurts when it's not reciprocated." I hadn't thought about this from that angle before.
      I also completely relate to your statement: "any little bit of me is a huge investment as there is so little to give." We do give a lot, considering that we are basically running on "reserve battery power", that's why it hurts so much when it's disregarded.

      Delete
  3. Jessie,
    I'm just on my way to bed, and I'm tired and my eyes are giving out, so I'll have to re-read your post again tomorrow, but....
    I also have the SAME problem with female friends. I have a few now, but I've had to whittle down the ones I had to the few I could legitimately trust.
    I have many male friends. They're far less complicated, and they don't compete with you outright (although I have met a few competitive guys over the years, which is just plain weird!).
    Female relationships can be really tricky. :-) Find the ones that speak the same language as you. They're rare, but they're worth finding (in my experience).
    It's not just you! ;-) Everything you said in that second-to-last paragraph applies to ME TOO! They were too needy, too competitive (combined with needy = perfect storm!), too capricious, too jealous sometimes (that's hard to spot if you have low self-esteem in the first place! They think you're happy or something and resent you for it, and, ta da, jealous, bitter friend!), or they only want to be friends when someone else isn't doing it for them. Sucks.
    Hang in there - the good ones are hard to find! (It's like men! Ha ha!). ;-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate being "that girl" that struggles with women. People see it as such a bad thing. But I agree, men are far less complicated. I hate to say that about women, as many are wonderful. But all the bullshit and gossip and drama and wounded feelings drive me crazy.
      Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I have friends. Not lots, but those I have are very dear to me. Also, I tend to befriend foreigners and people who are not local. Meaning, if I don't move away from town first, they do. In other words, I am friends with people who don't belong wherever we find ourselves.

    It's lonely and it's not. I need a lot of alone time, so it sort of suits me. My husband has more incidental friends than I do. I think they are a different type of friend than the ones I have. When we move from here, which we will eventually, most of the people my husband has lunch with will fall outside his sphere of interest. I take my friends wherever I go.

    I don't have much energy for outside drama, meanness, (ok I have time for a little gossip, but mostly when it is with nonsense and not other friends/family). I only have energy for real. My parents ate up a bunch of frivolity. I'm good with it.

    So, Jessie, my short response is: you're pretty normal given how you were raised. Take time to breathe when you need to. Anyone worth their salt will understand and still stand by you when you are ready for company. Your worth isn't in holding everyone else up. It's in being you. I bet you have a few people in your life that see that about you and love you for it, even if you haven't quite gotten there yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VR. I'm searching far and wide for those people. I'm sure they are there, just hard to see at the moment.
      And I think my store house of "frivolity" is used up too. I just don't have time for bullshit anymore.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jessie,
    I started reading your blog recently
    I hope you feel better and I can understand the feeling of not sustaining friendships. You invest and often it has turned out not good in the end. And it is exhausting with all the demand and expectations of daily life and on top of that with added demands from friends. xxT Reddy (my sign in on blogger is Mona).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey again Jessie,

    Just following up from yesterday.

    I'm always exhausted. I also battle with the issue of not wanting to 'put in the effort' to have a friendship. I find most friendships draining, not lifting (and that's probably a good sign that it's not a good friendship to maintain).

    I got some good advice from Kara - sleep more. :-) It's simple, but it's a brilliant point; whenever you're blogging or attending therapy, you're learning and processing! You need lots of downtime to assimilate it all!

    I cried last night because I felt 'lonely'. And yet I didn't want to have to call back my friend, because I didn't have the energy or the desire to 'put in the effort'. It's a real Catch 22, and I think it's something many ACoNs can relate to.

    Be kind to yourself - as VR said, "you're pretty normal given how you were raised"! We're only 'odd' because not many of us were raised as we are (and thank God for that). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks QG. I would love a little more sleep; the little ones tend to put a damper on that (and I struggle to fall asleep at night)!

      DH tends to get revitalized and energized by friendships. Although I do enjoy hanging out with friends, I find them to be energy sapping (I think that is the difference between introverts and extroverts). I think we clash in this area. I'm glad other people can understand how I feel.

      Delete
  7. Hiya Jessie -- I hope today is better. I'm having a crap day too. Partly because someone I've let into my sphere has been consistently flaking out on me for a couple months (whereas he'd been really reliable before that). I'm hurt and puzzled. I don't like feeling either. It makes me want to say "fuck having friends".

    I'm sure I'll feel less terrible later. Maybe after he reads my email saying I don't understand the choices he's making and he reasserts how he adores me -- lol, I wish. But even if he says "see you later, bitch", I at least put a foot down. I'm getting boundaries, I guess. I'm not sure how they're working, but... eh, I don't know where I'm going with this. Lol. I'm not going to hijack your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie, I can relate. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Until I came to the internet, I thought I was weird because I had such a difficult time making new women friends. Now I realize that a LOT of women do. These tend to be women who DO think more than just about shopping, fashion, and basically COMPETING. They are deeper thinkers, most of these women who have a hard time with friendships.
    In the last 3 years, I've "broken up" with really only the 2 close friends I had - not that they were even that close -- but they were from school, so I'd known them both a long time. Both were on and off friendships. I'm sure both of them would say that the "off" parts of our friendships was just as much my fault as theirs -- or more, but I know that isn't true.
    They are both "N's" -- but very different from each other, which is odd. One of them, I never saw as an "N", until I started putting the pieces together later. She's more the "passive agressive" type N, -- meek and mild on the inside, but with the true "Its all about me" spirit on the inside. The other one is a make-no-bones-about-it, LOOK at ME ME ME, type of N.
    Anyhow - I'm almost 50. I feel better without these people in my life now - even though I was always so afraid to lose them -- so afraid I'd be that woman without friends. So what. I have my DH and my son, I have my books, my job, my home, my health. Yes - it would be nice -- and maybe someday it will happen. But it won't be just anybody. They don't get 12 chances of treating me "less than" and me just putting up with it, because "nobody is perfect." I don't feel I ask a lot of my friends -- I don't like asking anybody for anything, actually -- which is the way a lot of us "friendless" are, I think. They are takers, and we give -- until we just snap, because they try to take too much. And sometimes what they take is just time, energy, and attention. You don't realize how taxing that is on your life until you rebell and refuse to do it anymore. I'd rather have the peace. The price of friendship with that type is not worth it. - Terry

    ReplyDelete