Releasing the past in order to find myself

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Phonies

After my last post, something Kara said got me thinking more about my anger towards my MIL.   What exactly it is that pisses me off.

I've said before how much I dislike phoniness in people.  I spoke before of my BIL (her son and "mini-me", a term I hate, but actually feel is apt here) and how fake and superficial he is.  How he is all surface and, in my opinion, has little depth.

MIL is a bunch of window dressing too.  In all honesty,  I really know very little about what MIL really likes or cares about.  She projects being a devout Christian.  She projects being very connected to her family.  She loves when people envy her "close" family and point out how wonderful we all are.  She likes the "best" of things.  Not necessarily the most expensive or fanciest things.  But she likes to be "in the know".  She likes to be trendy and be the first one to know about things.  She loves to recommend restaurants and wines and resorts.  She is easily swayed by other's opinions.  If someone she respects (or even someone she feels is knowledgeable  says something, she believes it and adopts their opinion for herself.   She rarely questions something.  It doesn't matter if how she personally feels about something.  If someone tells her a wine is awesome, she will say it is awesome too.  I've seen her quickly take on my husband's opinions about all kinds of things.  If he likes a wine or a beer, she likes it.  If he is eating a food, she has to try it and proclaim how much  she LOVES it (she is often overly extreme in her descriptions of things.  Things are THE BEST.  Or she LOVES something.)  She wants to fit in.  She does very little thinking for herself.   DH and I have often joked that he could hand her a glass of rancid wine, and if he talked it up enough, she too would proclaim it to be wonderful.  She has been spoon fed her beliefs on religion by her parents and never questions.  In fact, I rarely see her question anything from certain people in her life.  She is easily swayed by those she deems authorities.   However, if someone (often me) expresses an alternative opinion, she has to prove I'm wrong.  She does not have an ability to allow for multiple opinions to be "right".  She is very, very black and white.  I used to blame a lot of this on, what I believe to be ADHD.  But it just kept being more than that.   MIL is flighty.  She flits from interest to interest (and is always, coincidentally involved in anything her kids are involved in: sports, travel, wine.  Their interests are now her interests).  I've never seen her stick with anything except church, and even then she has waffled in her "convictions" as her preacher son expressed doubts.  She even has moved churches recently, with little explanation, despite being very devoted to her church several years back.  She loves get rich quick schemes and is a dreamer.  And talent of mine she notices, she instantly proclaims that I should do that for a profession.  I know of not one single interest, hobby, or idea that she has come to in her own way.  And consequently, nothing sticks.  Nothing has been a constant in her life.

When I first met her, she was very self assured in her way being the right way.  She badgered me.  She pushed me.  In my opinion, she bullied me.  Subtly.  She has a keen ability to undercut people's character or appearance in an extremely subtle way.  She bossed me around relentlessly.  DH used to say it's because she was the mom of four boys and just was used to being in charge.  So, she just took charge of me too.  She expected me to just do what she wanted.  I was desperate to please her and tried hard to be respectful.  She didn't raise children but directed them on paths she found to be right.  She had an opinion about everything I did and did not allow for much dissent.  She wanted me to be married in the same month as she, she pushed for the god-awful veil that she wanted me to wear and then criticized the one I wanted.  She pushed relentlessly for grand children.  Despite me continued attempts to explain why I wasn't ready, she pushed.  Once, she even told me that she wanted grand children because all her friends had grand children.  Oh, well then, I'll get right on that.  Because there is no better reason to have kids than for their grandmother to "fit in" with her friends.  And she told me I was expected to have the first grandchild and told SIL she had to wait for me and DH to have that child before they could have one.  I never understood why, except that that was the way MIL wanted it to be.  Or God told her that was the way it should be.  Such crap.  She decided who was ready and who wasn't to have kids.  She pushed me to create a home and life for my kids that was the same as the one she had created for DH.  It was like she wanted to recreate DH's childhood through me and DH.   She bought all DH's work wardrobe when he graduated college.  She called him to regulate his brothers.  She put family decisions on DH's shoulders, so to avoid blame herself should it back fire.  She manipulated in whispers behind my back and DH's back.  She tried to create a hierarchy with DH in charge of the family, something that caused extreme resentment from my SIL.

It would've been easier at this time to stand up to her.  I wish, desperately at times, that I could go back and stand up to her.  Put my foot down.  But any sort of dissent on my part got her angry.  And I didn't want to get her angry.  I wanted her to like me.    I felt at the time such a strong tearing inside of me.  I was trying so hard to be myself, but I knew the more I tried to be myself, the more upset she got.  Anything I said that she didn't like was met with a snarky laugh that came off like she was teasing me, but was meant to express her anger at me.  But in a way no one could call her on.  She huffed a lot.  And most of that was lost on DH.  He didn't see then (and still struggles to see) her subtle expressions of disdain or anger.  How her huffs and eye rolls and quiet, sneaky secret whispers just out of ear shot got to me.  He told me to just let it go and ignore it like he did.  But I couldn't.

After awhile, she realized she couldn't control me.   I also believe she felt DH's loyalty starting to shift.  So, she seemed to adopt the policy of becoming like me.  Because, after all, if DH thought so highly of me, there must be something to that.  So, she started adopting my tastes, my hobbies, my talents for herself.  And that's where the phoniness came in.  She started complimenting me all the damn time.  But the thing is, the compliments where never really about me, but rather something she coveted in me.  I've never heard the woman say "Jessie, you are a really good..."  All her compliments, to everyone, begin with "I think you are good at."  Every, single one begins with the "I think" statement.  It is all in relation to her opinions on things.  Even when she's told me she is bragging to someone else about me, she says "MY DIL, is so good at...".  It drives me crazy.  She's attempting to control me by winning me over now.  She thinks that by telling me she likes my toe nail polish or the color I picked for my walls or some other trivial piece of crap, I'll think she is a nice person.  This is also how she tries to get to my kids.  She tells them "grammy thinks you are so smart.  Grammy thinks you are so athletic."   She's trying to make them think she is being complimentary to them and make them like her more.  But she's still setting them up to cater to her opinions of things.  If "grammy" likes something you do, then you get a compliment.    She compliments my shoes or my earrings, while at the same time proclaiming she's going to get some for herself.  Instead of trying to make me her, she is trying to be me.  I guess, she assumes that I'll then like her more?  It seems so stupid to me.  But I'm not a narc.

But the part that makes me angry is that she has be in a bind.  She never insults me directly.  She's never been out and out rude (although I think she's been rude a million times, it's just easy for other's to explain away.  "She didn't mean it like that") or called me names or spoke negatively about me without couching it in "I'm concerned" terms.    She compliments me.  And, although I know these compliments are fake and phony, and an attempt to control my feelings towards her, how the hell do you call someone on that?  How do you say, when you told me my toe nail polish was nice, you were being an ass?  I would sound like a loon.  And she knows that.

I can't not be the bad DIL, because there is nothing to point to.  What I can point to seems petty.  My NM and NSis are obviously bitchy at times.  I have clear evidence of them being assholes.  MIL hides her asshole-ery amongst "love" and "concern" and fake bullshit compliments.  She hides her controlling nature behind wanting to help.  On the rare occasion that she still snarks, it comes so far out of left field that I don't see it coming (not too very long ago, my husband was talking to her and FIL about her babysitting my niece and how my BIL and SIL had become overly-dependent on grandparents to help them care for their kids.  MIL snapped "well, I'd do babysit for you too, but you don't want me to."  We all knew the comment was directed at me.  It was accusatory and made her out to be a victim of sorts.  She also knew that I couldn't get into a discussion about her babysitting without getting into a discussion about the deeper issues in our relationship.  We were in her house, she had DH and FIL to (in her mind) back her up.  She was looking for a fight, or at the least to put me in my place and express her anger at me in a way that I wasn't prepared to discuss.  She was also looking to deflect any guilt she felt about being overly involved with my niece back on to me.  These situations come up a lot.  She turns any sort of "attack" that she feels back onto me being somehow wrong.  It makes it extremely difficult to discuss anything.  And for what it's worth, she had never once discussed being upset about not babysitting to me before this comment nor in the three years since -in which I still haven't let her babysit.  She has never, once, confronted me directly about anything.  It's either behind my back, in a snarky passive-aggressive way to my face, or she pretends that she is not upset.)  She is always shucking and jiving, to borrow a phrase from some other bloggers.  You can not pin her down on anything without her turning it back on me, stomping off and getting defensive, or ignoring it all together.  I can't confront her, but she won't confront me either.  And she also has an amazing ability to do these things when no one else is around to see it.  It's hard to prove something that no one else sees.

What makes me angriest is to see her perpetuating this phoniness onto my kids.  She has a certain enraptured smile, with half closed eyes as she rocks and hums and holds my kids (or my niece and nephew) that makes me want to slap her.  I can clearly see it isn't because she is making a connection with the kids or feeling love, but rather because she is pulling off the narc supply they provide her.  They make her feel love, they make her feel special.  She is getting her physical attention needs met.  It is not about providing loving, physical contact to the kids (hence, she often misses the cues that the kids are over it.)  Although she isn't malignant or nasty to the kids, she does try to control the relationships.  She has pushed for my son and my niece to be super close.  She labels my son as "all boy" despite knowing little about who he is.   She doesn't send him little cards or stickers in the mail the way the other grandmas do.  In fact, when she is not with him (and often when she is) she pays him little to no attention.  She can not have meaningful interactions with him.  When he was a young baby, she literally held his fingers and pushed the buttons on a toy in order to "teach" him how it worked.  She had no concern for him learning how to do it, or giving him an experience, or working within his abilities to experience something with him.   Recently, she wanted to start up a conversation with him (about something she had heard about through FIL.  DH rarely talks to MIL.  And it was clear that she didn't know what the hell she was talking about because of the way she refrenced this thing.)  I should give her credit for starting a conversation because, mostly, she talks at him or about him to us, never to him.   So, we were all in the swimming pool, my son floats by and she tries to start this indepth conversation about this toy with him.  He just said "yeah" (because all of her questions are yes/no and never open ended or asking about his opinions, shocker) and kept going.    Luckily, I don't think she's doing any harm to him, because she is such a non-entity.  My brilliant, with a remarkable memory, son often calls her the wrong name.  He sees her most often and he has NO trouble with any other grandparents' names (even ones he rarely sees) but he frequently calls her another grandmother's name.  But I'm keeping my eye out.  I'm waiting.  I'm sure it won't take long for her negativity to pop out and I'm waiting.

But the thing is, everyone else sees a loving grandmother.  A grandmother who is being denied the "right" to babysit her grand kids. (For new readers, not only do I keep her from watching my kids because I don't think she will listen at ALL to the instructions I give her, but she struggles seriously with safety issues.  She's very unfocused (ADD) and does not think ahead for risks.  I've seen it time and again with my niece and nephew.  She also has no ability to read emotional cues in my sensitive and subtle children.  She also gets defensive if I suggest how to do something or "miss-hears" me.  She struggles to listen to me in the first place and when I have asked her to do things in the past, she rarely does things the way I ask.  I'm not a control freak, but I do have some ways of doing things that I would expect her to follow.).  I believe I am seen as controlling, unwilling to let go of my kids, and bitter by others.  It has created some serious frustration for me.

She's just slippery, I guess, and I'm frustrated.  This is a woman who offers to help me clean up a party that I've cleaned up (while she sat and watched).  A woman who apologizes to my husband when she's wronged me.  A woman who loves to look like a loving grandmother, but it is all loving in one direction: towards her.  Everything she does with the kids is to get them to love and care for her.  She compliments me on phony things and when I credit someone else for the things the thing she complimented me on, she suddenly looses interest in washing me with her praise.  She appears good and kind and thoughtful and helpful.  I appear mean and bitchy and grudge-holding.  I appear to be bitter and holding onto typical DIL bullshit.  I appear to be denying her her grand kids, her son, and the close family.  I am to blame for the turmoil in the family because I insist on being different (or difficult, depending on who you ask).  I am the one choosing to not be in the family, rather than her pushing me out as punishment for not conforming.

Not seeing her is not an option.  DH is not willing to lose his relationship with his father or extended family.  Calling her out right on shit causes a scene.  Although that's where I am at with her (and even then I think she senses this and has started "tiptoeing" around me like I am some ticking time bomb).  Any suggestions?  Any thoughts?  How do you pin a snake down?  How do you deal with such underhanded passive-aggressiveness?  How do I maintain my sanity?  How do I not deck her when she gets that smarmy, "serene", ah look my whole family is together look?

And as an after note:  When I first met MIL, I thought she was a bit rude and mean.  I thought she was thoughtless and flaky and unfocused.  I chalked it up to her having ADHD.  Clearly, she just misses social cues, I thought.  She speaks before she thinks.   She is unfocused and doesn't mean to be thoughtless.  I bought DH's excuse that, as the mom of four boys, she just had a more "masculine" approach to things (despite being raised with four girls and the fact that my grandmother, who also raised four boys wasn't like this).  The teasing and making fun of people and the family picking on people was "normal" with boys.  That's just how they were.  I bought the family excuse that she was just scattered and having to corral four wild (and ADHD) boys made her controlling and bossy.  I kept assuming she didn't mean to hurt my feelings.

But things never fully added up.  When she was told she hurt someone's feelings, she didn't apologize.  She didn't change her ways (and thanks Kara for recently pointing this out on your blog).  She just kept doing it.   And so many, many things couldn't be explained away by ADHD and mothering boys.

When I found the 25 Characteristics of NMs, I was reading it in relation to my mother.  What I found was that I kept saying, oh, that's MIL!  Many of the criteria applied to her.  So much so, that even DH couldn't deny it.  He did say that my NM was more "obvious" and that his wasn't "that bad" (because he misses her subtle nature).  I doubted myself for a long time about her being a narcissist.  But I just can't find any other way to explain her than with this: she is an emotional child, self-centered, and self-absorbed who can't put anyone else above herself.  She is a narcissist.

29 comments:

  1. " How do you say, when you told me my toe nail polish was nice, you were being an ass?"
    Haha! That reminds me of my roomie who I swear has no empathy. I don't know if she is a narc or evil because she's not like some other assholes, but what is the word for someone who is empathyless? I swear she is evil and I have gotten into a lot of trouble and labeled "the source of all negative energy" in this house by my landlord (who is completely buying into her BS and is now buddy buddy with her) because of her, while she gets to sit there acting like she's so pretty. Just because I don't say hi to her in the hall.
    After I got into trouble and my landlord's all putting me in a headlock (it was a hug) and saying, SQUASH THE BEEF, she said to me in this "I am so concerned about you" voice, like, oh, she was sooo there for me, "Hi," in the hall.
    The nail polish thing. It's like, when I used to come home and the roomie and my landlord were chatting downstairs, deep in a conversation about talking shit as usual, the landlord might look at me with a look to see if I was going to say hi to her. You know, if I didn't interrupt, then she wouldn't bother to be polite and say hi because, obviously, she would only be saying hi to be nice. So she keeps talking because the roomie is looking at her in the conversation, the roomie skips a beat just enough to make the landlord feel like, okay, eh, it's just Lisa. I don't need to say hi, she's not saying hi, you're not saying hi. And then just as she starts the next sentence, the roomie interrupts in the middle of the first word to look at me, completely ignoring the landlord who they were just in a conversation, and calls out, "Hi Lisa!" Like to prove she's the friendliest and most polite person here. not just that. She's the only polite and friendly person here. So of course, it makes HER look good, while vaguely making the landlord think, oh, I should have said hi. You know? Like she'll be the FIRST to call out hi if someone walks in, completing suddenly ignoring the others, making herself look good, she'll be the first to say your name after Hi, like she's suddenly your best friend and has the right to say your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Like to prove she's the friendliest and most polite person here."

      Yup, it's always to prove something, to make a point. They can't ever just be nice for niceness' sake.

      Delete
    2. Lisa and Jessie,
      "what is the word for someone who is empathyless?"
      Sociopath.
      Narcissist.
      Mother. (or mother-in-law, in this case.)

      They're just shells of people. Porcelain dolls done up in bright colors and ringlets so that we will forget that they're full of nothing inside.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. But just like the toe nail thing, it's like you're getting mad at them for them being so awesomely nice.
    People fall for these stupid little shows. My roomie prances around saying her Thank yooouss and her I love yooouss (when someone gives her something or does her a favor), says oh I'm just a good Christian girl who subscribes to Christian Scientist, talk about my diabetes to get sympathy while looking like I don't want sympathy and doing nothing to cure it and instead just continuing to eat shitloads of white tortillas and diet soda and processed meant, I'm just a good ole Christian girl who loves country music and Harry Potter and keeps a bunch of various books on her shelf to make herself look smart and interesting even though she never reads them unless she is reading them while constantly blasting sexist AM radio talk shows and Family Guy and/or Skyping.
    And she acts like she loves the dog and cats, but she doesn't. She's just copying me. She'll bend down, hold them down and torture them, while going, "Oh, you're sooo cute," in front of the landlord and the people, but she doesn't give a shit about them. I've seen her hiss and kick the cats out of the room like they're dirt. When she first got here, she shoved the puppy's nose in her pee and demanded What did you do? Oh, and now she's picked up a few tricks from copying me, and now she suddenly loves the animals. But not like you can say anything about something like that, because the landlord will think, well, they are my animals and they don't have the right to tenants' rooms, they're just animals, and they have been bad, the roomie telling on how the cat steals things from her room, she'll act like she's the generous one by saying, oh, it doesn't bother her, but you're supposed to think, oh, she's so nice, saying it doesn't bother her when it does." Funny, I've never had a problem with the cat stealing things from my room. I wouldn't even accuse a cat of stealing things from my room. Funny, how cats get downgraded to objects when she talks about them.
    Yeah, these people are bad. Very very bad.
    Yet they sit there, looking pretty, always with their please and thank yous, never say they did shit. They think that looking pretty and wearing makeup is the same thing as being a good person. They truly believe that, deep inside.
    It's that smile. That smile like they did nothing wrong that lets you know,
    it's all shit.
    They did it.
    They're evil.

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all varnish, with nothing on the inside. Shiny labels and associations and accolades to pin their morals on, but little behind the surface.
      What in the hell could a cat steal? I have never had my cat take anything from me. That brings new meaning to the word 'cat burgler'.

      Delete
    2. And the part where you said about her complimenting you all the damn time, reminds me of before when my roomie complimented me a couple of times, like oh, cute outfit. It makes me feel like LIKE I CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY OUTFIT. Or when she asked me how was your day? OH LIKE I CARE THAT YOU ASKED ME HOW MY DAY WAS BECAUSE I'M SOOO INSECURE I'M GOING TO BE LIKE OHHH SOMEONE ASKED ME HOW MY DAY WAS AND I'M SO LONELY I NEED YOU AS A FRIEND AND NOW I'M GOING TO BE LIKE, WELL, IT WAS OKAY UNTIL BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH HAPPENED AND THEN START TALKING SHIT.

      Aww cat burglar
      Yes, and thanks for the space!

      Delete
  3. "She has a keen ability to undercut people's character or appearance in an extremely subtle way"

    We were putting together favors for our wedding. In front of all of my family, NF suggested that we could make them like fortune cookies and put a note about our family members in each one (first of all, whaaaat?) His example he wanted to use was, "DH's dad likes [a specific activity], but we like him anyways." To clarify, my FIL doesn't just like this activity, it's his job. What better way to cut to someone down than by making fun of the very thing that someone loves so much that they went to school for it and made it their profession? And like your MIL's comments about you babysitting, it was done in the context of a situation where I couldn't say anything back to him without making a scene in front of everyone. And if I had brought it up to someone, their defense would have been "He was just joking. He didn't mean it."

    You said it perfectly, how do you pin down a snake? I don't know if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, the fortune cookie idea. That is...crazy. MIL is just like that. When I arrived at my husband's grandmother's funeral, I had just driven two hours with very young children by myself and was a bit flustered. She came flying over and said "hehe, everyone's been making fun of (brother's) beard" What the hell? Maybe she was lightening the mood for me, she thought? But here everyone else is getting ready to pray as a family, tears all over the place and she's making fun of someone's beard - which I don't like teasing anyway. But she loves to let out a huge guffaw and "tease" someone. She picks on everyone in my opinion but labels it as jokes. God forbid you try to "tease" her. Then you see the fangs.

      Delete
    2. Been emailing back and forth with my DH today. He wanted to pass this on:

      "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."~ Charles Baudelaire

      How fitting ;-)

      Delete
  4. "She picks on everyone in my opinion but labels it as jokes."

    YES! OH MY GOD THAT'S IT!!! That's NF's entire MO. I could write a freakin book about all of his "jokes"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that she apologises to your husband for wronging you gives her away, doesn't it? I mean, really clueless people don't go round apologising to the next of kin of the person they've hurt. By doing it that way, she accomplishes two things, she gets the credit for doing something she's actually NOT doing (apologising) and she "saves" her "image" of loving mother in her son's eyes. Quite crafty, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. For so long, I've just counted these things as her being socially daft. Maybe just a bit clueless. But they've happened with such frequency now, that it just can't be.
      Once this happened because she offered my son something he couldn't have due to medical issues. When I (nicely) told her that it couldn't happen, she shoved the baby at me and said "Here. You tell him then. You can be the bad guy." She then went in and "apologized" to my husband for upsetting me. And I wasn't even upset. So, she made me be the bad guy for her bad judgement, made me look like an oversensitive person, and made herself look like the good person and wounded victim.
      She likes to seem "spacy" (despite convincing everyone how smart she is. DH always defends her intelligence). I recently pointed out that she can't be both highly intelligent AND be unable to see how her actions affect people, especially when it's done over and over.
      The other thing she does is have little "side" conversations. If she doesn't like something me (or someone else does), she has a conversation with someone else who has influence over the situation. But she never really calls out what she's upset about, but rather convinces the other person of her opinion and converts them, and then has THEM confront the initial person.

      Very, very crafty.

      Delete
    2. A master manipulator and an orchestrator of flying monkeys. Wow! Like the mafia boss that hires hit men so he can never be prosecuted for murder. :P
      I agree with Grey that the quote from Baudelaire is very fitting.

      Delete
  6. "She loves when people envy her "close" family and point out how wonderful we all are."

    Uck. Reminds me of my MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She has been spoon fed her beliefs on religion by her parents and never questions. In fact, I rarely see her question anything from certain people in her life. She is easily swayed by those she deems authorities."

    This makes me feel all yucky inside. People that don't question anything kind of scare me. And it's no surprise that so many people like this end up turning to religion. (I'm not saying all religious folk are empty-headed sheep, but certainly some of them are) - reminds me of EFIL and L. And the trouble is that they see ONLY god as being the ultimate authority. To everyone else, THEY are gods. It's like they think God is number one, but they are his right hand men, so they are above everyone fucking else. And they don't question anything - not what they see or hear, not other people, not even themselves. But how can you change, if you don't question your self???

    Answer: You fucking can't. I'd say expect a lot from your MIL, just know she's not going to rise to the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never sat well with me when people said that questioning religious beliefs was, in essence, not believing. That just never made sense to me. Something that is true and solid, stands up to questioning.
      And as you pointed out, if you never question anything, you never learn anything new. I can not believe that God gave us this thirst for knowledge and curiosity, just so we wouldn't use it.
      For me, questioning often is just a desire to understand better, not an act of rebellion.
      And God's right hand man, yup, that's what MIL is. I just shake my head at the memory of her telling me that God had sent a message THROUGH HER to me. That she would be so arrrogant to believe that God only spoke through her. Or that she was so judgmental, and knowing very little about my religious feelings, that she felt God wouldn't (or couldn't) communicate with me directly.

      Delete
  8. "I was trying so hard to be myself, but I knew the more I tried to be myself, the more upset she got." Oh god. When you can't be yourself in a relationship with someone, it's just never going to be a happy relationship. It works both ways: both for you, having to hide your true self, and for her, always putting on a false front. No relationship can be happy or healthy under those terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't know why they can't see that. We are not in a relationship, we are actors in a play if we are not ourselves.

      Delete
  9. "Instead of trying to make me her, she is trying to be me."

    When I was growing up, my mother ran a daycare. And there was this one little girl (who later in life became one of my best friends for a time, because she grew up) who insisted on doing everything I did, copying everything I made, wearing the clothes I wore, even naming her pets after my pets. And it bothered me SO much. I didn't find it flattering, I found it annoying and insulting and intrusive. I think because I was trying to define my Self, and I saw what she was doing as an intrusion on that Self I was attempting to develop. How could I be a unique Jonsi if there was another Jonsi out there running amok?

    But the thing is, she was a little girl. She was very much like a sister, I suppose. And that sort of thing is kind of expected with siblings sometimes. Not with full grown adults.

    I think what your NMIL is doing is the most intrusive kind of nonsense, that can only lead towards the complete destruction of any relationship with you. She's intruding on who you are as a human being because she has no real identity of her own. It's frankly very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened to me as a child too. It is very common (and natural) for children to try on new identities they see from people around them. But when it becomes about trying on EVERYTHING about a person, that is not normal, but creepy.
      It is especially creepy when it is an adult. It is sad to me that she has no identity, but that doesn't mean she can just steal mine.
      And as you said, I have worked so hard to define myself. To be myself. When I hit my 20s (long before I knew about narcs) I knew I wasn't myself. I had this overwhelming desire to just be who I was and I always felt like my FOO was trying to shove me back into a box they'd created for me. I worked SO HARD to get out of that.
      And then, along comes MIL, and she just steals it. No respect for the hard work I put in, no respect for my authenticity in being myself, she just comes along and takes it. And as you said, how can I be myself, when there is this imitator standing next to me laying "claim" to me before I can even be me.
      Small acts of imitation or being inspired by someone else is flattering. When someone tries "you" on like some jacket in a store, it is creepy. And it is intrusive. That is one of the things that bothers me most. She won't even leave me alone in my own skin. She has to crawl in there with me.

      Delete
  10. "How do you say, when you told me my toe nail polish was nice, you were being an ass?"

    Oh my god, they are SO fucking good at the backhanded compliment thing, aren't they, which are nearly impossible to handle without making yourself look like an "oversensitive prude" to outsiders. And then they feign ignorance if you do call them out on it.

    Maybe you can grill her. The next time she gushes over your fucking nail polish or your haircut or the shade of your lipstick, you can ask her what, precisely she likes about it? Grill her, you know? Force HER to feel uncomfortable somehow. Point out that she's talking out her ass, or else blowing smoke up yours. Make HER uncomfortable by pointing out that she's talking just talking shit that looks pretty but that there's nothing backing it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point.

      Interestingly, when she made this remark about my toe nail polish, I told her "Oh, (my son) picked it our for me. He liked the color" (He's four and it's fun for him so I let him sometimes). That stopped her in her tracks and she just walked away. It was clear to me that when she couldn't "compliment" me, she dropped it.
      But I think what you've said is an excellent way of putting it back on her.

      Delete
    2. I think there might be occasions where it will work. You know, if she's all, 'Oh, Jessie I just LOOOOOOOOVE your nailpolish." After you vomit, you can say, "Gee. What, precisely do you like about my toennail polish NMIL?" That alone may get her, because you're questioning her. She expects you to gush because she's gushing, even though it's bullshit, and the first question of her apparent love for your fucking toenail polish (or whatever it is in the moment) will probably catch her off guard. I could see that working for a lot of things, actually. And it could be quite funny, because I think she'll get flustered.

      Delete
    3. Oh, yes. I agree, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I think your point about question why is brilliant. It's non-confrontational, but makes her responsible for her remarks. And I really, can't wait to try it. As much as MIL likes attention, she does not like a direct spotlight.

      On another note, ironically, NM used to give me similar advice. When I'd tell her what MIL would say, she'd tell me to say to her "that's interesting. Why would you say that?" Actually, some of my best tactics for dealing with narcs have come from narcs themselves.

      Delete
    4. Wow. That's crazy - gee, "takes one to know one" maybe?

      Delete
    5. For sure. Sometimes knowing multiple narcs has come in handy. For some reason, they are always willing to offer up advice on how to take down a fellow narc. I have a post I want to do about narc interactions (in their natural habitat...sorry, had to add a joke). But it has been interesting to see how they work around each other and how they use each other.

      Delete
  11. "MIL hides her asshole-ery amongst "love" and "concern" and fake bullshit compliments."

    UCK. Jonsi's NMIL - samesamesamesamesamesamesame

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I appear to be bitter and holding onto typical DIL bullshit. I appear to be denying her her grand kids, her son, and the close family."

    Sigh. I completely understand this position. Completely.

    I do believe she is a narcissist as well. Which means too, that there is very little hope she'll change. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe there is little hope for redemption at this point. Now, I'm just trying to figure out how to manage her.

      Delete