Releasing the past in order to find myself

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Missing

It has gotten easier to catalogue the ways NM has hurt me.  The times that she has purposely done something to hurt me.  When she's allowed her jealousy or insecurity to validate undercutting me.  I've watched her try and steal love from me.  I've watched NM force me to make sacrifices to appease her (or NM's emotional state).  I've felt used by her constant need for attention and validation.  I've felt the sting of her criticisms and nasty manipulative abuses.

I'm getting better about feeling anger and hurt over the injustices she does to me.  But I'm only recently realizing how much I've missed out on by having a mother like mine. 

Recently,  I have been struggling with a parenting challenge.  Nothing huge, but just one of those "bumps" in the road of parenting.  This issue caused my littlest child some significant stress and it's been hard to watch and find appropriate solutions.  My heart hurts for my poor little guy.

And, at the same time, this challenge has brought up a lot of feelings in me.  Probably just typical things that any parent would go through.  It has highlighted some milestones for me, and reminded me how fast time is flying.  It's brought up some odd feelings of abandonment for me.   And, of course, the issue is not about me, it's about my son, so that is where my attention and focus is.

NM has been aware of this challenge but has offered very little actual support for it.  She made a big deal of it on FB the first day, but then ignored it (while texting me a million texts about HER).  In the last few days, she has been asking about it again, but only in reference to how SHE is going to fix the issue for me (and of course, her ideas of how to "fix it" are so. far. off.   She clearly doesn't get the issue at all.)

And for some reason, her stupid little texts, which are not really that different than the drivel she usually doles out, really upset me.

And then it occurred to me how many times my mother has simply not been there when I needed a mother.  That at times when I really, really could have used a "mom" to call, someone to lean on, she was not there.  Right now,  I could really use a chat with my mother, someone to tell me it will be OK.  Someone to give me a bit of comfort and support, so that I can continue to support my son.  Someone to have my back and be my comfort as  I work through all of this tough stuff that can come with being a parent.  I wish I had a mom to ask advice from.  I wish I had a mom to step in and give me some respite when my energy stores are depleted. 

I wish I had a mom who could've comforted me when my older son had surgery last year.  Instead I had to tell her not to come, as I didn't want her attention seeking behavior to distract from my son.

I wish I had a mom who would've comforted me after I had my children and taken care of me.  Instead, she made it all about her and expected a pat on the back for her help.

I wish I'd had a mom who'd stood beside me at my wedding, instead of constantly making demands and throwing fits.

I wish I'd had a mom to pick out a prom dress WITH me (not FOR me).  A mom who would've ran my theater script lines with me.  A mom who asked about my friends.  A mom who was interested in what I was doing.  Instead, my mom only had a basic knowledge of what I was doing in my life.  It's still that way.  And it drives me crazy when she tells me she knows me better than anyone else.  She doesn't know me at all. 

I wish I'd had a mom who would've rubbed my head and comforted me when I was sick, instead of acting like I was an inconvenience.  I wish I had a mom who hadn't thought of me as an inconvenience at all. 

I wish I'd had a mom that I was excited to call and tell I was pregnant, instead of a mom I put off calling because I didn't want to deal with her reaction (and the NS SHE would require). 


There have been so many moments that I've been appalled at the things my mother does to me.  But looking at all the moments she was a shadow figure in my life.  A cardboard cutout of a mother.  It makes me so incredibly sad.

 I don't think a lot of people understand this.  They think "make amends.  Work on the relationship."  Like if I tried hard enough, I could have the mother I needed.  Hell, I know I thought that for a long time.  But it wouldn't matter what I needed, or how I called and asked for it, or how hard I worked to make the relationship.  My mother would never be their for me like I needed her to be. 

I was discussing this all with my husband, who was just not getting why something that he felt "looked" a lot the same on the surface was making me so upset and why I still seemed to be hurting over the same injury.  I told him that a friend of ours had held a tribute dinner for her mother who died a few years back.  That, even though this friend has moved on and made peace with it, there would always be moments where she missed her mother.  Moments she wished her mother could be there with her.

And it feels a lot like that to me (not to minimize my friend's loss at all).  I feel like, sometimes, I look around and "miss" my mother.  I miss not having someone there for me.  Someone that has my back and is looking out for me.  I miss having a mother who shares in my kids with me.  I miss having a mother to call and discuss my challenges with.   NM is there, but she doesn't really exist. 

I suppose I have a lot more mourning to do for the mother who didn't show up.

11 comments:

  1. I struggle with the concept of mourning my mother who is still alive and never was able to be a mother to me. I missed having a mother. I would get a glimpse from time to time that just opened the wound more. From the time I was 5 years old I was looking for someone that would be my mother. Hugs, this sounds so much like what I struggle with. I am not minimizing just feeling a very strong connection to what you are describing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ruth, you never seem like your minimizing and I appreciate the "company".
      It is such a strange thing to mourn someone who is still alive. That there is a person who "fills" the space up of your mother, but isn't your mother. It's easier to deal, for me, with processing all the horrible things she did to me. But it's an odd concept to mourn a living person. But, I think it's an important step in accepting reality.
      "I would get a glimpse from time to time that just opened the wound more." Those little glimpses kept me hoping for so long in my NM. But when I realized she had the knowledge of how to act, but CHOSE not to, that really hurt.
      In this situation, she has chosen to do the "grandmotherly/motherly" thing, but I've noticed her timing is off. She chose to help on her time, at her convenience and when she thought she had an opportunity to be the hero. I suppose it's progress that I notice the truth of her actions and no longer believe that it's real motherly intent, but it's just painful.

      Delete
  2. People who have reasonably normal mothers can rarely understand the burden of someone with a NM. It is a double whammy...not only do we have no parental support or guidance, but we also have to deal with their constant drama and hypocrisy.
    A true mother should be the one we trust the most...my mother is the one I trust the least.
    It is a loss, and especially, a frustration when the mess gets thrown in our face on a daily basis.
    We really are orphans. Which makes it all the more amazing to see so many of us change the legacy and be good, trustful parents to our kids.
    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. There is something crazy about having a mother but not really having one. Just someone who fills the position, like you said. Impossible to explain to people who don't get it. I think it'd be really hard for people who had a "mother" to even think that other mothers can be like this. It's almost unnatural not to want to comfort your own child and to make them feel like they're an inconvenience. And pretty callous, if you really think about it.
    So yes, we have mothers, but in reality we are "unmothered".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost like having a card board cutout for a mother. Just an image but with no substance.
      "Unmothered" is exactly how I feel.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way. Often it comes up when I face challenges that I wish I had a mother. When I am ill or struggling to make new friends in a new place I find that I wish I had someone to call and chat or vent or ask advice or like you say, just say it will be ok. Someone who knew me because they were there from the beginning and could really understand me.

    It isn't easy for a lot of people I have known to get this and I struggle with this. Because it is a loss. A loss can be due to death but also divorce and end of a friendship. We face many losses in our life that has nothing to do with death. We lost something we never had and it is hard for others to accept because they assume we have always had it and will have it if she is still alive. Hugs, TR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would just be nice to know someone was in my corner. Like you said, someone to say "it'll be OK" (and then stop there and not go one about how your problem effects THEM so much, like my NM does.)

      I've had people who have lost their mothers think I'm horrible for not "appreciating" what I have. And many people think I'm just some horrible person for "shunning" my NM and MIL. They have no clue how hard I've tried, but that I can't get blood from a stone.

      Delete
  5. I just read your last two posts. So many things come to mind. I spent the day yesterday with a childhood friend that I had not seen in seven years. What I'm finding more and more baffling is the people that I grew up with that ask how my NM is or how my GC sis is, I often struggle with how much I share. Well, yesterday, my friend asked how my sister was and I said you probably know more than me due to facebook because I have not talked to her in two years. I wait for their response to see how I respond. It's usually the same, they are not surprised because they saw the dis-function too. However, people that I have known for a long time but they really never knew me get shocked and asked why and in those cases I share very little in response. It's been a learning process to say the least. I read not too long ago from the blog "emerging from the broken" that when people make a response, like "how bad of you to treat your mother like that", I just have to realize that they didn't grow up like how we did with an emotionalyl neglectful, self absorbed mother so they cannot relate. The gal who writes in that blog states that our response in our minds should be, "why should I give a "pass" to someone who was emotionally neglectful during my formative years just because they are dead now or are aging?" It's true. I'm so thankful for blogs such as yours because it makes me feel like I'm not alone. The grieving over not having a real mother to turn to never goes away but it gets more manageable. I still have my moments where I wish I could just cry to my mother but I never had one to be there for me ever and that hurts at times too. I think people like us need to form a group similar to Big Brothers & Big Sisters.....there have to be a ton of us out there that never had a "real loving" mom. What should we call it? Thanks again for your blog....it helps more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom was a total narc. Distanced her for years with silence. Got the call she died asking for me three weeks ago. I just didnt like myself or anybody else, took it out on her. Can't sleep, this hurts so bad. I really miss her. I deleted my blog. I never knew this would feel so bad. Feel like I killed her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I'm publishing this comment, but with a lot of reservation. I'm really not sure why you've decided to leave me this comment. I can't tell if you are just hurting or if you are trying to "tell" me something.
      I am sorry that you are hurting. I can imagine what you are going through is painful. I can understand why you feel you may have killed her, but I hope you come to terms with the fact that you didn't.
      You comment is confusing to me, as you ebb and flow between two entirely different positions. Your mom is a narc....but you didn't like anyone and took things out on others (I'm assuming this means you took things out on your mom?) . You deleted your blog because you felt guilty, I presume?

      While I do understand what you are saying, if you are trying to somehow "warn" me, I have to say that our experiences are very different. I have not held my mother at a distance with silence. She still has contact with me nearly every day. I have not kept her at a distance because I don't like myself. I have had to distance myself because of the damage she was doing to my self esteem, my soul, and my life. I have tried EVERYTHING I can to have a real relationship with my mother, but it is not possible. I am doing the best I can to maintain as much contact as I can without losing myself in the process. And I write this blog to tell my story. It is not vindictive or for revenge. It is because I could no longer be silent about the extreme pain I was in. I am not happier, healthier, and more at peace than I've been in years.

      I wish you the best anon and would suggest if you continue to feel so badly that you seek a therapist to work through these issues. Take care.

      Delete