Releasing the past in order to find myself

Thursday, June 7, 2012

A few examples of crazy making

My mother has taken up the habit of finishing my sentences.  I'm not sure if she has always done this and I'm only now noticing it or if it is some sort of recent desperate attempt to enmesh us.  It drives me crazy.  She will but into the middle of a sentence, attempt to guess what I'm going to say, or even worse, say the same thing I say two seconds after me.  And then she acts like it was her original idea.  When I first noticed it I thought she was loosing her mind.  Now, I know it is her way of stealing the spotlight.

We often spend the day together while my husband does things with my stepfather.  When they come home, she will rush to the door and start barraging them with a "show" she puts on with my son as a puppet.  They haven't even hung up their coats before she starts with "show grandpa how I showed you blah, blah, blah".  Say "polly wants a cracker" (or whatever ridiculous thing she thinks she has taught him).  She then recounts the day with the royal "WE".  As in WE did this, WE did that.  The thing is mostly, WE didn't do any of the things.  She recounts diaper changes and naps and things that I did as stuff she did.

My MIL and Mom both have the annoying habit of staring off into space as you are talking to them.  They then turn and say "Hey!"  and then repeat back exactly what I just said to them!  This is infuriating to me.  My MIL recently did it to my husband.  He was worried about her mental health.  I'm not worried at all.  She, like my mother, is so self absorbed that even external voices are attributed to themselves.

My MIL covets.  When she enters my home, she's always remarking on something.  I often feel I am under a microscope.  She then exclaims "OH, FIL, isn't this great!  I want to get something JUST LIKE THIS!"  I assume she thinks this is a compliment.  But it has grown extremely tiresome that this woman, who has no identity for herself, steals mine.  I know they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but it can be overdone.  It can feel like nothing you have or are belongs to you.  And she can't be that in love with everything I do.  Anyway, cut to a few months later, and we will visit her in her home.  Of course, she will have gotten the item/stolen the decorating technique and then she has the nerve to act like it was her idea.  She'll make a big fan fair and brag as if she did something special.  She has "adopted" my hobbies, my way of wrapping Christmas presents, my interests, remodeled her kitchen right after we did, and followed us to Europe on a trip (she attempted to "meet" us there, but thank god husband put the hold on that!).  Then, she goes around acting all worldly and involved to her friends like she is actually the person instead of the sham that she is.  Enough to make me insane.

4 comments:

  1. I so get this Jessie, it does make you insane. My sister used to copy my clothing (when she still had access) and if we did a trip she'd have to do one too. She would also come in the house and "scan" for new things. Like you said, you so feel you're under the microscope. I once did a "test" just to prove to myself that it wasn't all in my mind: I bought some cushions for our sofa and I put a message on my windows live profile that said: "love my new cushions" and the minute she came in the house she was like a dog following a scent, went straight to the living room to check them out. It was funny but worrying, you feel kind of stalked. What annoyed me the most is that she wasn't interested in me as a person at all, only in "the outside" of me if that makes any sense. In the end it felt like she was taking all the space around me and there was no room left for me. It felt very claustrophobic. My DH said at the time that it reminded him of the film "Single white female" because she was trying to be a version of me. Kind of creepy really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In the end it felt like she was taking all the space around me and there was no room left for me." Brilliant! That is EXACTLY what it feels as if these people do!

      Delete
  2. So glad that someone else has had this experience. Well, not glad for you, Kara, but glad it's not only me! I definitely feel "stalked" or like the chick in the film. And it's so weird to even say. Makes me feel sort of conceited, so I'm glad you get it.
    I totally understand the "outside" of me comment. I was just trying to explain this to my husband last night. I feel like my relationship with my MIL is so phony and superficial. We were talking about how she sends thank you cards to all of us, but she sends them only to MY email. I don't feel like she is actually thankful, but trying to make an appearance of looking good. Or she sends me Mother's Day cards, only after she receives mine. She never sends my husband (her SON) Father's Day Cards. It just feels like it's all for show, not out of any real relationship. She's not interested in the person I am (because, frankly, the real person I am is not someone she would like) but in what she can suck out of me. I always feel she treats me in a "keep your friends close and enemies closer" kind of a way. I'm a means to an end (her son and grandkids) for her. And I would be fine having a "niceties" only relationship, but I'm not going to play the phony game and pretend we are best friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite hard to explain this "outside" thing, I'm not sure that people understand it unless they had felt it themselves. It took my husband quite a while but now he gets it too. We have a name for what you describe about the way your MIL goes about cards, we call it "Ticking Boxes". You feel like you are just another item on their list of things to do to get through the day.
      Your comment about "keeping your friends close and enemies closer" just made me have a lightbulb moment: "Anton Ego" (the family friend that I bought the coffee pot for) once said to me that over the years he had made sure that no-one was going to put a knife in his back. That comment really bothered me but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. I realise now that if that is their policy you never quite know where you stand with them or how they really feel about you. Like you said, it becomes a phony game I wasn't prepared to play either.

      Delete