Releasing the past in order to find myself

Friday, July 13, 2012

Why I am not going No Contact

First, and foremost, I feel No Contact is not only a valid and understandable choice, but one that many ACoNs are forced into.  It's not something they would've chosen.  It's not what they would've wanted for their life.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would willing choose to not have a family.  I believe everyone has to do what they feel is best for them and they have the right to.

With that said, I also don't feel No Contact is off the table.  With much of my own family, I have limited contact as it is, so it is not really an issue.  With NSis, she calls rarely, visits even less rarely and I can control how and when I see her and for what amount of time.  NM is a different story, but I have been slowly putting up the boundaries.

And I think that is the crux.  I have been working my way toward this point of healing for a long time in my life.  Going on for over a decade.  For many of those years, I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I couldn't understand why all my efforts changed nothing.  Why, no matter what I did, it often got worse instead of better.  I tried the "change yourself, find what you need to be responsible for" approach in the relationship.  I worked on healing myself, finding myself, growing myself.  I let things go, I stood up for my rights.  Nothing changed.  And the horrible, anxiety-laden, pit in my stomach feeling never went away.  And I knew that something, whatever it was, was very, very wrong.  I searched for answers in many places.  I tried to explain things in many ways.  But it never got better.

I feel that all of this work was important for me to be able to accept (and be able to do something about) the answer when I did find it.  I am not a religious person but I am very spiritual.  And I believe we are led to things, guided, if you will.  We are moving of our own free choice, but hints and help is hidden along the way for us to find.  And when I was ready, I stumbled across "Narcissism".  It is ironic really, considering my education and career choice, that I hadn't found it before.  That I didn't know anything about it.  But then, with one random click (in relation to it being removed from the DSM-IV) out of curiosity, I found what I'd been looking for.  And I was ready.  Ready to do something about it.  Ready to use the information I had to change myself, my life.

But that was only a few months ago.  So, my journey into learning about narcissism and learning to cope with it is new.  I've spent many of these last few weeks hunkered down, preparing myself, healing myself, grieving.  I am preparing to use what I have learned.  But, the truth is, I have not set down appropriate boundaries with my family or in-laws in the past.  I have reacted to them with private anger, instead of calmly standing up for myself.  I do not feel that I have done everything I can to establish the type of relationship that I will feel comfortable in.  So, as of now, I need to invest in that.  I need to know that I tried.  That I provided opportunities for the narcs in my life to be respectful.  If they can do that, than we will maintain a relationship.  If they can not, then the relationship will be altered to protect my and my family, whether that be low contact or no contact.  In the end, to feel good about the choices I've made, I need to be responsible for being clear and definite about what I expect and offer them the chance to adapt.

And regardless, I believe in letting it go, in grieving the loss of the family I had hoped for (not in some superficial, "they are not the family of my ideal" way, but just a family who is supportive and loving, warts and all).  While my NM may still hurt me, I'm learning to let her go.  To remove myself from her web of control and live my own life.  To make decisions on what is best for me, not what she wants me to do.  Maybe I'm being naive.  Maybe it won't work.  Maybe she will still tear me down.  But I have to see all the outcomes.

And with the in-laws, no contact is not an option.  DH has agreed to setting boundaries.  We have agreed that their will be consequences to controlling or abusive behavior.  We are determined to make our family a priority.  We are determined to make things different for our kids.  But he is not willing (nor have I asked) to separate from his family.  And in reality, there is a huge part of his extended family that are important to him.  His family means a lot to him and I would not expect him to throw all of them away due to his NM.   If we can figure out how to structure a relationship with her, and ignore attacks she send through her peons, I think we can do this.  We are going to have to try.  Because, at this point, that is the only option.

6 comments:

  1. I feel this is the way to go for me too. Everyone's circumstances are different and not one size fits all. You have to do what works for you. Setting boundaries brings up people's true colours so it makes it easier to decide what to do. Then if you have to limit the association with them you do in the knowledge that you tried your best to give the relationship a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we as individuals need to come to our own conculsions on how to handle the narcs.But A couple of things have come to mind. Why would you want to have anything to do with people who detest you(and careless about you) and why would you want to have contact with those who get enjoyment out of abusing you? Not only that, it does affect the kids. Even if it is only low contact. In the end, not only do the adults get burned by the narcs but so do the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point. I don't believe that my narcs detest me. And yes, they can be abusive. However, as it is still early in my processing of this all, I have set limited boundaries in the past. I need to see if setting firmer boundaries will make a difference. I owe this to myself to know that I did all I could.
      And, as I've said, I can not choose to have no contact with the in-laws. That is not in the cards at the moment. I have to see how I can work through this. But, if at any moment I feel my kids are in danger, and I can not protect them, I will rethink my decision.
      And also, I feel there would be a lot of collateral damage (lots of family members that we would loose contact with) if we made this decision. So, again, I need to try all avenues before I make this sacrifice. If we cut all contact, we would have NO family in our lives.

      Delete
    2. Jessie, why do you feel like they don't detest you? If we are talking about a narcissist, they are all the same when it comes to their thinking.

      I completely understand that you have to find out for yourself if things could change. I also understand that your dh wants to have contact with his parents. I get that.

      I've been there and am still there. I have lost all family members to narcissim but in reality, they could have cared less even before I went no contact.It was always a one way relationship.

      As far as the kids go, whether you realize it or not, they will absorb what they here and see. Even if it is not that horrendous.A lot of what the narcs do is suttle and underhanded. These narcs will use the kids and put them in the middle,etc. In the end, the kids end up getting hurt. Now they have to grieve and deal with the pain that the narcs have done to them. Narcs are only out for themselves and could careless about your kids.

      I say all this because I've been there.

      Delete
    3. All good points. First, my kids are the biggest reason I'm working through this. I don't want them to be hurt. And, yes, they are subtle. And in the past, I have pussyfooted around their tactics, in an effort to maintain the peace. I will no longer do that, and I need to see what setting firmer boundaries does to them. Both of my narcs are somewhat scaredy cats and they can be stood up too. They are too afraid of loosing their family. And the thought of my kids loosing their entire extended family is a big step. And, many people who are in direct contact with the situation, do not see what I see, or understand what I do.
      And here's the thing. I don't want to go no contact until I am %100 certain, have tried everything, and no there is no other choice, as I think this is such a huge, permanent step, that I have to be certain and think things through.
      As far as "detest" me? Well, I know lots of narcs are this way. I guess, with mine, they would have to think of me as something other than an object in order to detest me. Or on par with the family dog. I don't think they give a shit enough about me as a person to detest me. And maybe, I've learned to see it as their projection of detesting themselves onto me, not actually me. They don't know me to detest me. Maybe I'm naive or being simplistic. But part of my healing is learning to not take what they say or do to me personally. Removing my love from THEM has been a huge step for me in protecting myself.
      But I am going to think about what you've said. I thank you for taking the time to comment and read my blog!
      And I hope that you are finding some courage to deal with your narcs too.

      Delete
    4. The nfoo don't know the real me(although they think they do).They can't connect with anyone in a real way. As far as them detesting someone, I have experienced this with more than just family members. They are jelous and the most enviest people. They cannot stand anyone who speaks the truth. If you are the scapegoat, you'll understand this.

      I understand what you are talking about when you are trying to not take things personaly but to some degree, it is personal. Especially when it comes to family. Yes, it is them who has the problem but when they are always attacking you and your kids, then it becomes your problem.It is still hurtful because we are not robots.

      As far as healing goes, I believe it's a fallacy. Some things in this life stay with you the rest of your life. You don't really get over it but you just learn how to cope with the situation as best as you can.

      I don't have contact with any nfoo anymore. But there are so many narcs out there that we will always run into them.

      Delete