Releasing the past in order to find myself

Friday, December 21, 2012

Cleaning

My house is immaculate at the moment.  Perfectly clean.  My son vomited a ton on my living room floor the other night.  But my house smells like a rose.

SHE is coming tomorrow.  My MIL.  And I hate that I've made the house perfect.  That I can't stand to have a thing out of order.

She's not a clean freak.  In fact, she's a slob.  Sort of.  Maybe more of a semi-hoarder.  She cleaned her kitchen once after a remodel and declared it "organized".  Nope, it was clean.  It was nowhere near organized.  I have a favorite story of how I went to a her house one time.  My SIL had gone through her fridge and "cleaned it out".  Lord knows what she threw out.  But several hours later, I went to get some salad dressing.  I looked at the expiration dates.  They were SIX YEARS OLD (notice I said "they".  There was more than one).  No lie.  My husband was in high school when she bought these dressings, and we were our of college at this dinner.  Gross.  Like I said, I can only imagine what SIL threw out.

She stores stuff.  And keeps stuff.  And has piles of things.  She's not really messy.  She's pretty clean.  But she washes her bathmats with her bed sheets.  She is more interested in the "end" than the "process".   As long as it's done, it didn't matter how it got that way.  She washed my clothes (without my permission: no one washes my clothes) once.  Not only did shit shrink, but my BILs helped themselves to some of it.

So, this lady, a somewhat tidy, but not organized and clean person puts me on edge.  And it pisses me off.  I shouldn't care what she thinks of my home.  Her position of expertise is compromised to say the least.

Yet, she will come to my home and find fault.  When she came to my brand new, month old home, she noticed that the chandelier still had the stickers that told what light bulbs to buy.  I'm sure it's a federal law to remove these stickers, unless your a homeowner, and all she could notice was that they were still there.  In my new, beautiful home, that's what she saw.  Around the same time, one of the things she noticed is that I hadn't watered my plant.   The thing had just moved, was adapting, and was a bit droopy.  But she felt the need to notice.   A couple of months ago, I left a huge pile of clean, but not folded laundry on my dryer.  EFIL "noticed" that for me.  EVERY little fault they can find, they point out.  I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

When my son was born, her perfect, long-desired grandchild was born, she pointed out he had her MIL's "unfortunate nose".  How is a new mom supposed to take that?  She also pointed out he had his mother's "broad forehead".  DH didn't understand why that was rude.  I figured referring to anything about a woman as "broad" was rude.

My SIL, whom I'm working on a post for (wife of BIL, whom I recently glorified in blog form), is the same way.  If I don't have every damn thing in order, she has to point it out.  Several years ago, I'd come back from a three week trip in Europe (backpacking).  I was exhausted and piled all the souvenirs on the table.  SIL "dropped in" and sputtered about how I must be organizing...or something...because surely I wouldn't have such clutter in my home.  This is the same SIL who avoids inviting me over because she doesn't think her home is clean enough for me.  Can I say projection?

I don't want to appear perfect.  I do like my home to be clean and clutter free (in the public places, you should see the closets) when people come by.  I don't want towers of shit falling on them and I don't want them to feel like they need to disinfect themselves after using my bathroom.   And frankly, I'm not down with a ton of clutter.  But I'm not a nazi.  I'm not a clean freak.   But I feel if I falter at all, it'll be lauded as a weakness.

My MIL has "worried" over lots of things my SIL does.  She tells me (or DH) about how she had to clean SILs "whole house" when she had her baby.  Or how SIL has planters warts.  Or really, really intimate details about SILs labor and the....ummm..... "nature of the terrain".  Yuck.  She tells me how she doesn't like her stove or doesn't like how they parent (not that she would be "that MIL"-her words-and say something to them).  So, I know if I slip up, the whole damn family will know about it.

I'm trying not to care.  Trying. But sometimes it's fun to be "perfect" and fuck with her that way too.

10 comments:

  1. Good lord. Their pettiness and hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

    Everything you have described here bothers me. This one was particularly gut-churning: "She washed my clothes (without my permission: no one washes my clothes) once. Not only did shit shrink, but my BILs helped themselves to some of it."

    It is difficult for me to put into words exactly how angry it makes me feel to think about anyone else handling my laundry, other than the specified few I'm comfortable with. But my husband's mother? Oh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's so absurd to think of her filthy hands all over my laundry that it makes me laugh out loud. I mean, literally, their damn hands are "filthier" figuratively than our laundry is literally.

    Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are turning neat freak to cut off all avenues of possible attack from her. Bad news. She'll immediately see an immaculate house and move on to the next item on her gotcha agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Q. And it really, really pisses me off. How the fuck do I stop myself from caring? I mean, the woman notices the stickers on my light fixtures. I swear, I'm no better than her, because I can't stop trying to control the uncontrollables. I just want to try and minimize the damage, you know?

      Delete
    2. You tell her to shut her fucking mouth.

      [sigh]. You wish, right? :o)

      But maybe it is time to say something. One of my FAVORITE things to say when someone has crossed the line is to say, "Excuse me?" If you say it the right way, it packs a punch. Don't say it like you haven't heard them. Say it like you know EXACTLY what they said and it is NOT acceptable. And then nothing more needs to be said. It turns the tables on them real quick.

      Delete
    3. I LOVE the way Jonsi is thinking. But to really put your foot down is to begin the process of NC. They will NOT be told what to do. Especially not by a DIL.

      Delete
    4. I know. It's taken me so long to figure out that it's OK to put my foot down. To give up the idea of "family harmony". To be honest, I really had to make sure my DH was on the same page first. Probably shouldn't have needed his support, but I did. And I'm sure I have it now. I actually relish moving forward and putting my foot down. I think it may expose her for what she is.

      Delete
  3. I played this game for awhile then I learned that it is not about me. Whatever it is, it really is not about me.

    If you want to practice another comeback for criticism this one comes from my sister, "When you do this perfectly, I will." Only weird thing is that often they do consider their was perfect.
    Hope you have fun in all this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jessie. I have been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now. Thank you for joining my blog, as well. This entry stood out to me because my paternal relatives are the same way. They will find a flaw in anything and anyone and won't hesitate to point out their observations. I haven't had any contact with most of them since "08" and barely any communication for several years before that, but when I did spent any time around them, that's one of the things that always stood out to me was their love of pointing out flaws and perceived weaknesses in others. Due to them, I've always felt uncomfortable around other people who tend to point things out as well, instead of just keeping their observations to themselves, because I feel interrogated by their questions and comments.

    Anyone notice though that the same people who have no problem offering up criticism tend to be extremely sensitive about their own stuff. You touched on that about your SIL, and how she doesn't feel comfortable having you over to her house because she doesn't think it's clean enough. I've also noticed that these people tend to be quick about shutting you down if you say something they don't like, while being clueless about their own behavior.

    I try to live and let live for the most part, but sometimes criticism is necessary. I think it's good to suss out the purpose of the feedback and the source of it. If it is someone who just always has to point something out about what you're doing or not doing, then that isn't a good source. Your ILs aren't good/valid sources when it comes to giving feedback since they can't even get their own stuff together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IW. I'm glad you are here and I've found your story interesting on your blog. I am interested to read more.

      Yes, criticism can be important. In fact, I would appreciate if someone pointed out something that I really might need help with or could improve or am doing in a crazy way. But someone who is constantly looking for something to find fault with is not OK. With my MIL, I think it's her way of taking me down a peg. She makes it look like it's "helpful" but it's really to draw attention to the fact that I'm not perfect (I don't believe I'm perfect, but she feels so badly about herself that she has to "even us out"). Since I wrote this post, I've thought about MIL a lot and how her greatest weapon is to "kindly" point out people's flaws. It helps her to build the case for herself being the better one.

      Delete