Releasing the past in order to find myself

Monday, April 15, 2013

Family

When I was little, family was the most important thing to me.  I was aware of my feelings in a way I doubt other kids think about their family.  I remember always wanting to be with my family.  I passed up on social events to stay home and hang out with my family.  I am allergic to animals, so I actually couldn't go to other people's houses as much, which just compounded the problem.  But I didn't mind.  I LOVED spending time with my family.  I loved my mother.  I idolized her.  I have a book I wrote about her, in which I embellished a small act on her part into her "saving my life" (I remember that's how she had conveyed the seriousness of the event at the time).  I wrote poems about her, poems about my family, homework assignments spotlighted my family.

I loved family get-togethers.  We frequently got together with my father's family and I loved it.  The cousins, my grandma, the aunts and uncles.  I loved being around different people.  We rarely got together with my mother's family, at least not all together.  But we saw them.  My parents had a couple of friends we saw.  I loved that too.

My little sister was my constant companion.  She went every where with me (except the times she went with her friends).  I watched her on every holiday and summer break.  We were in the same classes (mom putting me in the younger age group, so we would be together.  Always even.  Also, it helped NM not have to run around to double the activities).  My sister always expected to share my friends (and later boyfriends).  We were close.  She was violent.  I was afraid of her and her temper.  But we were "close".

But none of us was really close.  Not really.  I can look back and see how we all kind of just floated together.  Like boats, tethered together on the sea.  Bouncing into each other and near each other, but not really connecting.  We did lots of things together.  But I don't remember a lot of glowing memories.  I don't remember feeling that was of love.  NM and NSis were close, completely enmeshed.  And on occasion, they would let me hang out too.  Lots of times I was relegated to dad.  Working in the garage.  I spent a lot of time alone.  I read books, I played in my room.   I remember pulling together for my sister's homework as a team, but I don't remember anyone really being excited by anything I did.  I was just there, a constant.  I remember being asked a lot to accommodate my sister so she didn't tantrum.  She got her way a lot.  NM recently told me that sister had told her she was a big softie with us.  NM loved that she was referred to this way.  She liked being the nice parent (she used my dad as an enforcer).  NM was a softie, with my sister (and for what it's worth, the soft treatment wasn't preferential and most likely fucked my sister up completely.).  I was NM's assistant, her helper, her little me.

But I felt almost a desperate desire to be around them.  When the divorce hit, I was stunned.  I was 14 (ish, I really struggle to remember the exact order of things and dates.  It's all a blur).  I remember feeling like my family had exploded.  Like it had died.  We all seemed to be blown in different directions.

I was devastated.  I struggled so much with the complete dissolution of my family.  Everyone (except me) went crazy for a time; some longer than others.  I tried so desperately to hang onto the pieces.  To hold it together.  I remember feeling very alone.  Forgotten, abandoned.

Through my twenties, I did everything I could to improve the relationships with my family that were so rapidly deteriorating.  Every interaction with my sister and mother ended badly.  Fights, arguments  lots of tears.  I racked my brain about how to fix it.  My dad has always been distant, and continued to be (My father, not a narcissist, but a very self-centered person, recently asked me why I wasn't eating the eggs he'd made for breakfast.  I informed him, as I have on every visit in the last few years - around 5- that I have hated eggs since I was 2.  I've never eaten eggs.  Anyone close to me knows this.  He doesn't know it.)

I hosted my family.  I bought thoughtful gifts.  I supported my sister through every drunk, tearful, 3 a.m. phone call, and the various sob fests in between.  I watched her repeatedly create such horrific havoc in her own life - and consequently that of her "family."  Then, she would demand support, endless hours to vent or unleash, long tirades about how unfair it all was.  But no change, no attempts to grow up and make things better.

I had glimmers things would get better.  Moments that I thought things were getting better.  Break throughs.  And falls back wards.  Lots and lots of slips backwards.

I find it ironic.  Ironic that it is me that they accuse of not being there for my "family".  Of not living up to my obligation.  It's ironic that they accuse me of being "cold", and "calloused", and completely uninterested in family.

It's the same way with my in-laws now.  When I started out with them, I wanted so much to fit in.  To be a part of a big, "loving", family.  But twists and turns, and I've somehow come to be the enemy to them now too.  I'm the one out to destroy the family.  I'm the one on the outside.

I just don't get it.   Can't people realize that if I hadn't been about to kill myself, I would never have had to step away from my "family"?  That someone like me, who idolizes and worships her family, would never run for the hills screaming, if it hadn't gone very, very wrong?  That I'm not interested in being right, or having my way, or controlling the family.  That it isn't about some petty disagreement.  That this is about someone finally having to step away from family before it killed me or sucked me down with it into crazy town.

12 comments:

  1. (((((Jessie)))))

    I never thought things would get better with my family unless I figured out how to stop messing things up. I like your analogy of the boats being tethered together. I didn't feel loved or any family closeness either. I mostly felt lost and misunderstood and defective.

    And I never would have stepped away from my family either if they'd shown a shred of decency. But the were gleefully consuming me. I had to choose and I chose me.

    I'm gad you've done the same for yourself. You deserve better than the measly crumbs they pretended to toss your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VR. I'm still working on it. I haven't given up on my dad, because in the end, he's an asshole but he at least admits his mistakes and is trying to be better. The other narcs would rather eat fire than have to admit any wrong doing.

      Delete
  2. Hugs. Family can be terrific when it works unfortunately it doesn't work for a lot of people. Trying to explain it to someone else is almost impossible. I've been told numerous times how lucky I am to have my parents. I finally to the stage of not wanting to throw up when they say that. My sister reminds me the sanest one of the bunch is usually the one that walks away. Bullies use accusations to whip their victims into shape. It is crazy making at the extreme. Breath deep, set healthy boundaries. You can make a yourself a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That this is about someone finally having to step away from family before it killed me or sucked me down with it into crazy town." That just about sums it up, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. And sort of in correlation to what Ruth said above, it is the hardest part for me to get over. They have long made me feel selfish and self centered when I don't give all of myself to them. I know it sounds stupid when I think about it with my head. But my heart (or long drilled-in mantras) say to me that I SHOULD be sacrificing myself for my family. That putting myself as a priority above them is wrong. That I'm not being a good family member. I'd probably still think this way if I didn't realize that by laying myself out over and over, I had nothing left for my kids. That I couldn't live in this drama and chaos and stress and be a good mother to my children. This is like the last little bit of programming I need to get out.

      And Ruth, how do you get over the desire to throw up whenever someone tells you how wonderful your family is? No one says that about my actual family (everyone can see it) but I get it all the time about my in-laws. How damn wonderful they are. It makes me want to scream.

      Delete
    2. The "long drilled-in mantras" are really hard to overcome. I'm only just starting not to feel guilty when I go abroad and don't tell my FOO, and it's been three years since I stopped telling them. It does get easier in time, we just have to keep writing over the mantra.

      Delete
    3. They are. They were the fence posts, so to speak that helped guide me as a child in determining what a "good person" was. So, to unlearn all of that and learn what a good person really is (and the tricky fine lines that often separate the two) is hard.

      DH and I are actually contemplating a trip to NSis's town (a town I love and the reason I at first suggested she move there...so I could see her more) but we would not tell her or anyone else we are going. I know I will be in "trouble" for not telling them or going to see her, but I'm trying to get over it.

      Delete
  4. I know I'm so late in reading your most recent posts, I'm hoping my thoughts will still be relevant for you.

    A couple of things struck me while reading this particular post. This line jumped out at me as being reminiscent of DH's childhood: "My sister always expected to share my friends (and later boyfriends)." I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before - that I believe it is so completely UNnatural for siblings (even siblings who are close in age and of the same gender) to "share" the same circle of friends (or significant others! YUCK).

    I remember seeing a couple of sets of twins in high school (and really, you can't get any closer in age than that), and I always imagined that the individuals who had circles and lives outside of their twins seemed to thrive the best. While I would imagine that genetically speaking, twins are probably wired to have similar tastes, likes, and dislikes, I would also venture a guess that those who are recognized as being wholly separate beings from their "other halves" by their parents are the ones who are encouraged to be different and seek different paths.

    Wow. What a tangent. My whole point being that siblings are not meant to share friends. They are supposed to go out into the world creating a life for themselves that is separate from their sibs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was tangential. I think your point is well made. If parents are really in tune with the "person" their child is, they support that child in being truly who they are. And even twins are "unique" (on the inside) individuals. Ever child should be encouraged to find their own path.
      Funny thing is, my sister didn't share her friends (or boyfriend's, not that I would have wanted that. ICK, is right.) But I had not personal space of my own. I was not allowed any place to be "me". She had her circle of friends and was involved with my friends too (probably, partially, due to the fact that I was supervising her so damn much. It's hard to go be yourself when you are being the babysitter.)
      I can understand there being some overlap, but to just have to have your sister tag along all of the time (into middle and high school) was not OK.

      Delete
  5. And of course, the overall arching theme here is that you were taught to portray this "close" familial bond that really wasn't there at all. And what resentment must build up under the surface of such a learned facade! I see this phrase pop up a lot from estranged parents on their various forums (and I believe I saw a few times too, coming from DH's old "friends," though not from NMIL directly) - they speak often of how "close" they once were to their (now) estranged adult sons and daughters and how they're so taken by surprise that these kids they were once so close to now want nothing to do with them.

    But doesn't that just suit their needs so well? To pretend that the feigned closeness THEY created is now being shunned by their victims? That kind of plotline just makes it so much easier for them to play victim. That's all it is. Personally, I think that somewhere in them, your NM and your NMIL know that their familial "closeness" was a sham. They'll never ever ever admit it. But I really believe that there is some part of them that knows it. And they hold that truth close to their vests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In recent emails, NSIS has claimed to be stunned by my recent "distance" as we were so "close". Well, she thinks we were close. For her, I was close because she confided in me, talked to me, took up my time. What she fails to realize is that she wasn't close to ME. These relationships are all so one sided. Two people can't be close if only one person is actually getting their needs met.

      Delete
    2. Fucking exactly! Reminds me of NSIL's recent suicide attempt and contact with DH - her whole letter was dripping with disdain over the fact that he's so "different" from the person she was once so "close" to. But the truth is, as you've pointed out, that they were NEVER close to begin with and now that you are changing (IE developing boundaries, self-esteem, etc) they can't be "close" with you anymore.

      Delete